Apple DVI to Video Adapter

Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first post on your forums so, hopefully, I don't get hit in the face with a brick for posting under the wrong topic.

Anywho, I recently picked up the Apple DVI to Video Adapter for my Macbook Pro, along with an s-video/35mm to RCA bonded cable for connection to my plasma. The sound comes through just fine and the picture looks decent, with the exception of it not filling the entire screen. Let's say that my normal viewing is a 10" rectangle. The image being projected to my TV is somewhere around an 9" rectangle. Don't get me wrong, the picture is very clear but I have about two real inches on either side of the screen. Considering that most of the movies I'm watching are already letterbox, it's exceptionally disappointing. Leopard does show both displays and the second one, obviously, is 1024x768, which would be fine if it would just fill up both sides.

Has anyone else run into this problem and is there path forward towards resolution?

:)Thanks in advance:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Leopard does show both displays and the second one, obviously, is 1024x768, which would be fine if it would just fill up both sides.

Has anyone else run into this problem and is there path forward towards resolution?
1024x768 is not a widescreen resolution. Therefore, it will always have the 'extra space' on the side if you project it onto a widescreen display.
See if there are any other resolutions available (1440x900, for example) that would allow for a better 'screen filling'.

OP
J
Reaction score
1024x768 is not a widescreen resolution. Therefore, it will always have the 'extra space' on the side if you project it onto a widescreen display.
See if there are any other resolutions available (1440x900, for example) that would allow for a better 'screen filling'.

1024x768 is the highest resolution available to me under the display options in leopard. I recall reading somewhere that it was the standard resolution for NTSC TV's, as they are not monitors and will not go higher unless you have a DVI input, which I do not and am kicking myself for not getting last year when I purchased my plasma. All of that out the door, it just doesn't make sense to me why the picture won't fill both parallel side's of the screen and it's available.

Sure hope that I'm not stuck with it like this, as I'm a stupid man and will purchase an entire new TV just to correct this one thing. :eek:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You will not get any better using component nor s-video connected to the TV.

You should just need different cables - what is the brand and model # of the TV?

OP
J
Reaction score
You will not get any better using component nor s-video connected to the TV.

You should just need different cables - what is the brand and model # of the TV?

Sorry, I'm at work right now and have no idea the exact make of my TV, outside of it being a 42" Panasonic that I purchased last January. I have HDMIx2 (both in use), component, composite, and s-video inputs. Outside of using one of the HDMI inputs, which I though was a waste because there would be no sound coming from the MBP though this cable, I cannot see how a different cable would help.

Reaction score
I have the same issue, but I was wondering if the HDMI with additional audio import (which my TV supports) would do any better? I also have a standard RGB connection in the back of my HDTV, will I get worse or better quality if I hook it up as a standard PC monitor?

I have a Sony KDS-R50XBR1 television with a spare HDMI connection (which as mention above also has inputs for separate audio) and a standard monitor RGB connection in the back. Right now, I hook my MacBook Pro up with the DVI to S-Video/RCA connector and it looks pretty good. I am just curious if I can get a better quality picture by connecting to my television differently.

Thanks,
Richard

OP
J
Reaction score
I have the same issue, but I was wondering if the HDMI with additional audio import (which my TV supports) would do any better? I also have a standard RGB connection in the back of my HDTV, will I get worse or better quality if I hook it up as a standard PC monitor?

I have a Sony KDS-R50XBR1 television with a spare HDMI connection (which as mention above also has inputs for separate audio) and a standard monitor RGB connection in the back. Right now, I hook my MacBook Pro up with the DVI to S-Video/RCA connector and it looks pretty good. I am just curious if I can get a better quality picture by connecting to my television differently.

Thanks,
Richard

I think this is a limitation of converting DVI to s-video. Wish I knew that going in, as this is my second round of cables. The HDMI "should" provide full screen, according to my friend who is a geek at this sort of things. Pretty sure it will be my next route, unless somebody can figure out a way for me to get full screen out of the DVI to s-video.

OP
J
Reaction score
Problem solved.

I got home and was messing around a bit more. Under NTSC/PAL display options, head to options and check "Overscan". Also, if you're like me, you'll want to have your MBP free and run full screen on the TV. Under "Color LCD", head to "Arrangement" and move the monitor over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.