Iphoto / Lightroom / iMovie

Reaction score
Hello.... maybe a stupid question, but I cannot figure this out.... It would seem that the programs designed to work with pictures on the mac, want to automatically take control of my photos. I spent hours arranging a large group of photos for a slideshow and labeled them in order 1 - 275, however iPhoto wants to order them as it pleases and some in multiple sets. Can anyone help me to understand how to deal with this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Check out the VIEW SORT options. Sort by Title. If they are in different Events, simply drag one event into another and they will be merged.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hello.... maybe a stupid question, but I cannot figure this out.... It would seem that the programs designed to work with pictures on the mac, want to automatically take control of my photos. I spent hours arranging a large group of photos for a slideshow and labeled them in order 1 - 275, however iPhoto wants to order them as it pleases and some in multiple sets. Can anyone help me to understand how to deal with this.

Many folks do not like the way iPhoto takes control of your photos when it comes to sorting and arranging. My answer to that is simple: Do not use iPhoto. You can download the free Picasa application for the Mac from Google. Picasa allows you to have control over your photos and includes a fairly nice photo editor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I'd argue that iPhoto offers lots of ways or sorting and arranging your photos. It's just the default options some people don't like - but there are lots more options in there if you take the trouble to find out about them.

C

chas_m

I hate to disagree with chscag, but he's entirely wrong on this one IMO. The problem doesn't stem from iPhoto or Picasa -- it's simple user error.

Izweifel, you're simply getting ahead of yourself. When you create the slideshow, the pictures will be put into the order you want them by you, and will remain that way. It's not even important how they are arranged into albums or events (though you can easily re-arrange them as you like).

I find that the best way to create a slideshow is to a) pull photos from events into a specially-created album. Albums are sorted any way you want.

Once the album is in order, make the slideshow from it. Voila, look, there they are in the order you put them in in the album.

(I will never understand why people have a problem with events -- as though chronological order was somehow a bad idea ... when you don't desire chronological order for any number of perfectly valid reasons, make an album. Simplicity itself.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(I will never understand why people have a problem with events -- as though chronological order was somehow a bad idea ... when you don't desire chronological order for any number of perfectly valid reasons, make an album. Simplicity itself.)

Or name your Events and sort said Events by name. BTW I use Albums and Smart Albums by the bucket load too :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've got news for you folks.... I use and like iPhoto. However, there are other folks who do not like iPhoto and the way it takes control. That may be perceived and misunderstood but there are just too many complaints in these forums and others stating pretty much what the OP said.

Again, if you don't like iPhoto, don't use it. Simple solution. No need to defend it..... ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.