iMessage Issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 10.2.1, 2015 MBP 16gb 1tb OSX 10.12.3
I have a problem with how my iMessage is working. I have only had my MBP 2 weeks so I called the Apple Support line and they dont know how to fix it.

When I send out a message, it sends fine thru imessage but the response shows up in my email. I have the setup page showing my apple id and the account to use for imessage as my email account. In other words, my apple id, email account and message are all 3 using the same address. But Apple Support says that should be fine, but it isnt.

I have had an iPad since March 2012 and have it set up the same way and it has always “just worked" the way it is supposed to, messages go out and come in thru imessage. That is UNTIL I synced to my new MBP, now all my devices work wrong in imessage.

Anybody have a solution for something Apple doesnt know how to fix for me, anyway?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
What version of OSX? What version of iOS?

OP
MacWannabeNTX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Osx 10.8.2
ios 6.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
On your Mac in Messages - Preferences - Accounts

What Items are in "you can be reached for messages at:" ? Just your one email address?

Is this the same list on you iPad?

OP
MacWannabeNTX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, they are both set up identically. And again, the iPad imsg worked as it should until I got the MBP setup. I have talked again with Apple telephone support this morning and understand more about my issue. Seems as if it is unique to me. They say as I have it set up (I only have one email addy anyway), it should work. If a imsg recipient receives an imsg from me, their response should come back to me thru imsg. If instead they respond to me from their email function, it would come back to me via email. Since I am not working that way, my imsg issue is going to be escalated to Apple Engineering. ~~~Sigh~~~

Sorry bor bothering you guys with this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For fear of suggesting the obvious . . . . have you tried removing the iMessage ability on both platforms, restarting both then logging back in again?

Many iMessage anomalies go away after a basic off and on again.

Also worth setting up just the Mac on it's own and seeing if that works in isolation.

OP
MacWannabeNTX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For fear of suggesting the obvious . . . . have you tried removing the iMessage ability on both platforms, restarting both then logging back in again?

Many iMessage anomalies go away after a basic off and on again.

Also worth setting up just the Mac on it's own and seeing if that works in isolation.

I have no problem with obvious/simple suggestions. I am a complete newbie. Therefore I dont know how to "remove the iMessage ability". I did try on the MBP iMessage/preferences/account, to click on disable my apple id, if that is what you mean, and that did not fix the problem, it was still happening on the iPad. Actually, I would be glad to disable iMsg completely on the MBP and go back to how the iPad imsg used to work so nicely, but I ran that by the Apple Support guy and he said that would not make any difference..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.