Opening Docs Maximised in Office 2011

Reaction score
I have Office 2011 running on my Macbook, but I hate it that, in either Word, Excel or Powerpoint, every time you open a new document/presentation it cascades instead of opening maximised. I then have to maximise the document/presentation myself.

I may be missing an über-obvious setting somewhere, but isn't there just a setting somewhere to open all documents/presentations maximised?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I then have to maximise the document/presentation myself.

Why do you have to mixamize the document? That would be pretty inconvenient. After all, you just got this fancy new MacBook with a widescreen display, designed to display more than one document or application at a time, and now, for some inexplicable reason, you are being forced to "maximize" documents so that you can only see one thing at a time. That's horrible.

Might as well be stuck on Windows!

Is someone forcing you to do this? Are they threatening you? If so, consider calling the police.

No one should be forced to use their computer that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.7 i5 + MBP 13" 2.26 (2009) + IPad + iPhone
Office 2011 on Mac? -> I think it's great. Better then the w7 version

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Office 2011 on Mac? -> I think it's great. Better then the w7 version

Office 2011 is a very nice improvement over 2008 but as far as it being better than the Windows version (Office 2010), that's subjective. :)

In my opinion, using both versions, Office 2010 is more polished and easier to setup and use. Mac Office is catching up though.

To the OP:

Office Docs are designed to open like that as most folks like to have room on their desktop for other things. I couldn't imagine using Word or PP full screen. If you like full screen, just click on the View menu and choose "full screen" each time you open the document. It's really not that inconvenient to do.

OP
S
Reaction score
Why do you have to mixamize the document? That would be pretty inconvenient. After all, you just got this fancy new MacBook with a widescreen display, designed to display more than one document or application at a time, and now, for some inexplicable reason, you are being forced to "maximize" documents so that you can only see one thing at a time. That's horrible.

Might as well be stuck on Windows!

Is someone forcing you to do this? Are they threatening you? If so, consider calling the police.

No one should be forced to use their computer that way.

Yes, I'm held at gunpoint as I do my daily work. The hazards of living in Johannesburg, I'm afraid.

Office 2011 is a very nice improvement over 2008 but as far as it being better than the Windows version (Office 2010), that's subjective. :)

In my opinion, using both versions, Office 2010 is more polished and easier to setup and use. Mac Office is catching up though.

To the OP:

Office Docs are designed to open like that as most folks like to have room on their desktop for other things. I couldn't imagine using Word or PP full screen. If you like full screen, just click on the View menu and choose "full screen" each time you open the document. It's really not that inconvenient to do.

I'm with you on Office 2010 PC v. 2011 Mac. I prefer the Windows version, although I'm still pretty new with Mac, so maybe it will grow on me.

I really do prefer working full screen. I'll Alt-Tab (or Cmd-tild) between documents when I need to switch. If I'm working on a 26" screen then I may consider opening things alongside one another, but a Macbook screen hardly has overwhelming real estate.

OP
S
Reaction score
For anyone else who stumbles across this thread, RightZoom has all the answers.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a nice find. Thanks for posting the link.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.