What's this mic buzzing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
I have a mic plugged into iMic plugged into a USB. It records fine, but if it's quiet on the track, i.e. just vocals, I can hear a faint buzz. Is there any way to get rid of that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.8GHZ, 4GB DDR3
if you are recording with garageband you can noise gate it.

It works, but it's not perfect.

The more expensive but better solution is a power conditioner for your computer. Like a Furman or the like.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if you are recording with garageband you can noise gate it.

It works, but it's not perfect.

The more expensive but better solution is a power conditioner for your computer. Like a Furman or the like.

Is that accessible by going to Effects > Gate? That works with some instruments, but not vocals really. It cuts out too much. Thanks for your help, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may also want to try one of the vocal presets such as "iSight Noisy" or "Male/Female Radio Noisy"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
garageband.jpg

Thats how I see them.

Add an instrument, select Podcasting, select a "noisy" one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 1.25 GHz DP, OS X 10.3.9/OS 9, NVidia GeForce 4 Ti 128 MB, NEC 22" CRT
Are you using a USB hub? That could be the problem. Griffen used to make (maybe still does, it's been years since I got mine) a USB Audio Hub (MODEL NO UH-124Z) that supposedly is designed for using with USB mics and the like.
Jude

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great recommendation on the Male Radio Noisy setting. It didn't fix this problem, but it'll help me in the future.

As for this buzzing, it started recently -- months after successful recording with the same iTrip set-up. I can temporarily fix it if I switch USB ports, but I can only record three takes maximum before it starts sounding crappy again.

I've included a sample MP3 of what it sounds like here: http://makeoutmusic.knoxware.org/makeoutmusic/mic test.mp3

It's not a buzz so much as it is a constant static associated with vocals/instruments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192
That's definitely something with the mic itself. Perhaps try unplugging the mic and rebooting, then replug in a different port?
That actually sounds like the mic could be broken...

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's definitely something with the mic itself. Perhaps try unplugging the mic and rebooting, then replug in a different port?
That actually sounds like the mic could be broken...

Ugh. Can you recommend any mics I can get off eBay for $50-$75 to record basic vocals and acoustic guitar? I need USB or one that can run through iMic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.