Macbook won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
What happened:
------------------
I got a Macbook from a friend.
According to him, one day it was working fine and at the end of the day he shut down the Macbook normally and next day morning the Macbook didn't turn on.
2 weeks later I got it from him, and it was left alone with battery out for that period, and when I got home I just plug the charger and pushed the power button and it turned on!

Everything worked fine, I installed snow leopard and updated the system via software update menu (there was a firmware update available for it).

It worked great for a week, absolutely great. Everything was fine and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Until just yesterday I shut down the Macbook normally and next day it didn't turn on!

What I've done so far:
-------------------------
I tried to reset SMC by removing the battery and un-pluging the charger then holding the power button for 5 sec. (to be sure I repeated that and hold it for more than 5 sec.) but nothing happened.

I tried removing charger from the wall outlet and let it rest then plug it to the Macbook (without battery on) and again nothing.

I tried different RAM modules, nothing.

The "restart after power failure" was disabled.
Also the "schedule turn on" wasn't on.
I changed these settings by putting the HDD into another Mac, but when I put it back it didn't do anything. Maybe the Macbook has to be turned on once to read those settings. So those options are out too.

Taking this to an Apple store or a Authorised service centre is a lot of hassle specially at this time of year. And considering what happened I'm pretty sure there is no hardware failure but some sort of software malfunction.

I have another Macbook available and I can exchange parts so let me know if there is something I can try.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is nothing that could be done software wise that could prevent the computer from powering on. It can only be a hardware issue. The software can't affect the powering on, as the data on the hard drive hasn't even been touched at that point.

Best advice I can give is to call Apple and set an appointment to take it in. Could be power supply, system board...

OP
D
Reaction score
There is nothing that could be done software wise that could prevent the computer from powering on. It can only be a hardware issue. The software can't affect the powering on, as the data on the hard drive hasn't even been touched at that point.

Best advice I can give is to call Apple and set an appointment to take it in. Could be power supply, system board...

Software isn't only what is on the HDD! SMC, firmware,... etc are considered software.
Anyway, may I kindly ask any prospect replier to just focus on the issue I've explained.

I don't need "advice" to bring the macbook to an Apple centre, because that's the obvious thing to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
The issue is clearly hardware related. If you are not getting a startup chime, then the SMC and Firmware are not being accessed.

I think Bob's advice was spot on. Either begin hardware troubleshooting or take it to Apple and let them do it.

Reaction score
Yep, Bob was spot on... It is a hardware issue and I'm leaning towards the logic board. Perhaps you should be a bit more gracious that he actually answered your question.

FYI, if it won't even power on then it can't access software, hence the reason that he said what he said. One last thing... I believe that the SMC is a chip on the system and the HDD is not accessed for that information during boot. I may be wrong, but a "firmware" usually refers to chips that are updated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I don't need "advice" to bring the macbook to an Apple centre, because that's the obvious thing to do.

Whether you "like" this advice or not...that's beside the point! If your Macbook won't turn on...there's not much else that can be done until it does power on.

There's really not much inside the computer to "tweak" or replace. If this powering on situation seems to be somewhat intermittent (as you seem to be suggesting)...then there may be something loose inside (a wire to logic board soldered connection for example).

The bottom line is...if taking the computer apart & nothing is found, and the computer does not power on (and you get no startup chime)...then taking it to the Apple Store is what needs to be done (since they have more advanced diagnostic/troubleshooting software & hardware).

More than likely the cost of getting it repaired at the Apple Store will not be worth it...so you may just have an expensive door stop!!!

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Whether you "like" this advice or not

It's not that I don't like the "advice". It's not an advice and everyone just know that one particular "solution"!
If there is nothing better you know just pass and don't reply. That's simple and easy.
Eventually if I can't find any solution by monday that would be my only choice. (you realise that the "advice" is unavailable during the Christmas holiday weekend)

I don't know what is so hard about focusing on the issue when someone asks clear and specific question?!

The guys asks about spilled water, half of the replies are asking why he was drinking by the laptop! Half else suggest taking it to Apple! Like the person needs to know those thing just now!

Anyway, thanks to everyone reading and willing to help, but if "take it to apple" is best you can do, I appreciate your attention and just pass this one.

By the way, for those who may come here for similar issue, if you'r laptop doesn't turn on then follow these steps from Apple (and don't listen to those who think it's a hardware issue, it may well be only a simple software problem):

Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on
Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on

Another probability is a faulty keyboard or power button. (I'm going to try another top case to see if it's the case or not)

It's funny I'm the one actually contribute to my own "asking for help thread"!(-:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's not that I don't like the "advice". It's not an advice and everyone just know that one particular "solution"!
If there is nothing better you know just pass and don't reply. That's simple and easy.

What you're looking for is some sort of super duper double secret James Bond 007 solution to your problem...sorry mate...it doesn't exist!!!

Your MacBook is busted...period!

Go to the Apple Store...be ready for them tell you it's going to cost $700 bucks to replace the logic board...and then be ready to walk away because you know that it's not worth spending $700 on a MacBook that's worth $500.

End of story!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
I think everyone that has replied to you knows what the standard Apple support page says for "My MacBook Won't Turn On". The thing is your first post told us that you tried everything on that list. That is why it wasn't suggested to you. You seemed to immediately rule out that it was a hardware issue. We were only trying to make you realize that it is, in fact, hardware related.

Another probability is a faulty keyboard or power button. (I'm going to try another top case to see if it's the case or not)
(-:

Guess what friend?? These are called hardware solutions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Eventually if I can't find any solution by monday that would be my only choice. (you realise that the "advice" is unavailable during the Christmas holiday weekend)

I don't know what is so hard about focusing on the issue when someone asks clear and specific question?!
You really arent that gracious in the help you are getting fro free on Christmas eve .... Are ya

By the way, for those who may come here for similar issue, if you'r laptop doesn't turn on then follow these steps from Apple (and don't listen to those who think it's a hardware issue, it may well be only a simple software problem):

Well im going down the Hardware road as well. If it being Software you would be able to start up at least n then it would tell you if and what is the problem ...
What Simple software problem do you think t is to not start up the Mac??

And low and behold, in the link you provided #8 says ring Apple .... Hmmm sounds familiar doesnt it Post #2 from bob

OP
D
Reaction score
Guys, guys! calm down!
I'm really sorry if I offended you by pointing out how useless offering go to Apple "advice" is. By the way if you read your own posts you see you are the one who proved its uselessness! (pointing the cost and etc!)

Also it's funny that everybody here knew the procedures to deal with a Mac not turning on but "go to Apple" was a hidden solution that needed to be cleared!

Anyway thanks for your attention and again I'm really sorry. I'll post update after testing the another keyboard.

As one said above, I need a 007 solution so if you don't have it please just laugh at my misery and pass. why do you reply?! (-:

Cheers

OP
D
Reaction score
You really arent that gracious in the help you are getting fro free on Christmas eve .... Are ya

Well im going down the Hardware road as well. If it being Software you would be able to start up at least n then it would tell you if and what is the problem ...
What Simple software problem do you think t is to not start up the Mac??

And low and behold, in the link you provided #8 says ring Apple .... Hmmm sounds familiar doesnt it Post #2 from bob

1- What "free help"?! you mean the "take it to Apple"?! is that a free help? seriously?
2- The simple software one would be #1 to #6
3- Yeah #7 is go to Apple, by the way there is no #8! and which number is "go to Apple" here? oh wait, #1!

Again thanks, thanks and thousands thanks. I'm the stupid one here, I'm sure I am.
But next time you read a thread if you know any thing helpful reply, if you don't just pass.

In search for a possible answer I have to read many other posts and it was so tiresome going through pages and pages of nonsense to find a single line related to the actual issue.

A good example, one guy spilled water on his macbook, half the posts are mocking him or asking him why he was drinking water near his Macbook! other half tell him go to Apple, when the guy clearly mentioned he is aware of that option.

Any way, thanks for all of your free helps.

If anyone has any other solution I really appreciate the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
1- What "free help"?! you mean the "take it to Apple"?! is that a free help? seriously?

Well its my belief that no matter WHAT the Advice, its still people giving there FREE time and advice. Be it good or bad, you are still having someone take part of there day/night to try and help you out.

2- The simple software one would be #1 to #6

1 Make sure that the power cord is plugged into a working wall outlet, and that it's properly connected to the power adapter. (To check if the wall socket is working, plug in a lamp or other electrical device.) Not Software related

2 Make sure that the power adapter is properly connected to the power port on the side or back of the computer. Not Software related

3 Disconnect all accessories that are plugged into the computer, such as a printer, hub, or other mobile device. Not Software related

4 Reset the computer's PMU, SMC, or PRAM. Refer to the instructions for your model:
Not Software related

5 Try plugging a different power cord into the computer (if you have a working one available). If the computer starts up, replace the old power cord.
Not Software related

6 If the computer uses a power adapter, try connecting a different power adapter to the computer (if you have a working one available). If the computer starts up, replace the old power adapter. (Computers that use a power adapter include MacBook, MacBook Pro, iBooks, PowerBooks, Power Mac G4 Cube, and Mac mini.) Ummmm again Not Software related

So i fail to see how ANY of this is software related ... ???? !!!!

3- Yeah #7 is go to Apple, by the way there is no #8! and which number is "go to Apple" here? oh wait, #1!

Opps My bad ..... BC the 800 number was directly below the #7 it mislead me ......

At the end of all this still and with GOOGLING the best advice i can give, is take it to a Authorised Repairer and get them to look at it ....

Now in your OP you say your sure its not a Hardware problem but software problem. What makes you think this ??
Really dont know what more you wantus to say...

bobtomay is one switched on Mod and he has a fir understanding of the Mac OS. And what bob stated to you would not be Bull

I would listen to this as he know what he is talking about.
Yes you MIGHT have a situation that isnt normal, but until someone looks at it and runs there diagnostic tests to determine the problem, i think the most you will get is Take it to get Checked out .....
We are not here to run you around the bushes a few times. Waste of my time and effort really so we try to give the best answer we can ....

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks TattooedMac, but after many posts the only real "helps" here are those I've posted.

Anyway, I'm going to open it up and try it with a different keyboard (top case) to see is it power button or not.
Also I found out there is a Li-ion battery for PRAM, I will try to disconnect if the fault isn't from power button.

From the symptoms I described I'm pretty sure it is not the logic board.

I'll update this thread after those attempts.

Mean while I appreciate any new idea. After all the Macbook would be open and up for implementing those ideas for a while.

(again Mac service centres are close now! so please keep that one to yourself if that's all you can come p with! (-: )

OP
D
Reaction score
So, I opened the Macbook (just removed the Top case, which is fairly easy thing to do) and after disconnecting the keyboard it was clear that the problem is the keyboard connection ribbon.

Who ever tried to open this machine before wasn't familiar with the fact that the keyboard is connected to the logic board via a fragile ribbon. Obviously s/he has abused the ribbon and caused lose connection.

Thanks to a Wesli_1 on Macrumers forums (here MacRumors Forums - View Single Post - Possible to turn on macbook without power button?) I found out that I can turn the Macbook on by shortening two power related pin near the fan (nothing scary about it, just a touch of screwdriver's head).

That's it, the dead Macbook is alive and running!

There is a lesson here for those who think they know everything when they don't. Please instead of dancing around and justifying your wrong "helpful advices" learn the lesson.

When someone asks something, answer the question or leave it.
"take it to service center" isn't and answer or help. Every alive person is aware of that "help".

Anyway, the Macbook is ok, and as I said there is nothing major wrong with it. Although I guess a broken power button is a hardware failure after all! (-:

Cheers,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well im going down the Hardware road
Anyway, the Macbook is ok, and as I said there is nothing major wrong with it. Although I guess a broken power button is a hardware failure after all! (-:

Bingo.
Glad you found the problem and where proficient enough to take it apart yourself. A lot of people get too worried about doing that, and hence so many people saying *take it in* to Apple . . . . . .
In future might pay to let others know of how confident you are at taking a MBP apart so nest time maybe some will say take it apart and look at ........??

Anyways thanks for posting back.

And just one more thing
There is a lesson here for those who think they know everything when they don't. Please instead of dancing around and justifying your wrong "helpful advices" learn the lesson.

Be a bit more gracious in the help you get. I dont believe there was any WRONG advice as you have stated. Its just not what you wanted to hear by the look. All the advice was sound advice :)

OP
D
Reaction score
In future might pay to let others know of how confident you are at taking a MBP apart so nest time maybe some will say take it apart and look at ........??

That's why I asked 3-4 times to please focus on the question and request I've posted. If you read my original post, I clearly said I have another laptop in hand and I can exchange parts if necessary.

I'm a gracious person if I get smallest bit of help, but it didn't happen here.
I thank everyone for their kind attention and I hope in future people just focus on the issue in hand.

Cheers.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Wow, 'nuff said. We're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.