How can I stream movies that are on an Airport Time Capsule on my iPad 1?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm sure that the TC and the Airport Base Station can create a WiFi network without an internet connection. Even my Verizon FIOS ActionTech Router can do that. However, there's a big difference between a WiFi network without a net connection and one with it. ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
And in regards to what I want to do here, what is the difference between a wifi network with and without an internet connection?

I'm sure that the TC and the Airport Base Station can create a WiFi network without an internet connection. Even my Verizon FIOS ActionTech Router can do that. However, there's a big difference between a WiFi network without a net connection and one with it. ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Self explanatory. A WiFi network without an internet connection is just that. You've got WiFi between your devices but no access to the net. As I stated in my reply above, I can do that with my FIOS ActionTech router if I disconnect the incoming LAN cable. I'll have WiFi between my iPhone, iPad, and iMac, but no connectivity to the net until I reattach the LAN cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Self explanatory. A WiFi network without an internet connection is just that. You've got WiFi between your devices but no access to the net. As I stated in my reply above, I can do that with my FIOS ActionTech router if I disconnect the incoming LAN cable. I'll have WiFi between my iPhone, iPad, and iMac, but no connectivity to the net until I reattach the LAN cable.

Yes, there are a number of devices that can establish their own Wi-Fi network - I mentioned the AirStash (which I own) which requires an easy to use app on the iPad and reads from SD cards; another is the Apotop Wi-Reader shown below - has a number of inputs (ethernet, SD, & USB) - setups up a Wi-Fi network also and reads from those 3 inputs mentioned - now I do not own this device to comment. For the OP, the iPadForums have plenty of comments on both of these Wi-Fi devices (and 2 stickies can be found there).

BUT, the issue still remains as to getting movies onto SD cards or w/ the Apotop device onto USB sticks or an external HD (the latter of course brings in options, such as the Seagate GoFlex). And yet still extracting the films from a DVR and converting each to a format acceptable by the iPad (although w/ the appropriate app streaming would be a choice)?

I'll still be curious about the Apple AirPort routers (or 'base stations') w or w/o storage - if a Wi-Fi network can be setup to communicate w/ an Apple laptop or iDevices w/o an internet connection, what features are really provided? Possibly Time Machine backup - others? Could movies on the Time Capsule really be streamed to an iPad? If so, is AirPlay used or an app required? Dave :)

21Q0Ojar8nL.jpg

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes I verified this by calling Apple again and the Airport Time Capsule does create its own wifi network without an internet connection. It is basically an external hard drive with a built in router.

I called DirectTV and asked them if its possible to transfer movies/TV shows from their DVR to my external hard drive and she said it was but said that since that is a third party application that she wouldn't be able to tell me how to do that.

Yes apparently I can play movies on my iPad by "beaming" them from the Airport Time Capsule using the Filebrowser app.

Hey again - as said, I'll stand to be corrected about whether the Apple AirPort stations can establish their own Wi-Fi network w/o an internet connection - the AirStash device that I own & described does it, so not a difficult issue, I guess - I'll be quite curious about Apple's response - my AirPort Extreme is the previous model and cannot do what you describe.

Now, if indeed the new model can establish a Wi-Fi network while you're camping, you still have to figure out how to get those movies onto the HD of the Time Capsule and then to beam the films wirelessly to your iPad - would require an app on your iDevice - does one exist? Still dubious that you'll be able to accomplish your goals, as described. Hopefully other members will continue to 'chime in' to help - keep the questions coming, may just help others trying to do the same. Dave

I knew that thanks but I meant for my purposes of watching movies stored on a wifi hard drive on my iPad without an internet connection if it somehow made a difference and apparently it wouldn't. ;)

I have never heard of the Air Stash until now. Is the Air Stash basically a router that could enable me to do this with a much less expensive NON wifi hard drive?

Yes, there are a number of devices that can establish their own Wi-Fi network - I mentioned the AirStash (which I own) which requires an easy to use app on the iPad and reads from SD cards; another is the Apotop Wi-Reader shown below - has a number of inputs (ethernet, SD, & USB) - setups up a Wi-Fi network also and reads from those 3 inputs mentioned - now I do not own this device to comment. For the OP, the iPadForums have plenty of comments on both of these Wi-Fi devices (and 2 stickies can be found there).

BUT, the issue still remains as to getting movies onto SD cards or w/ the Apotop device onto USB sticks or an external HD (the latter of course brings in options, such as the Seagate GoFlex). And yet still extracting the films from a DVR and converting each to a format acceptable by the iPad (although w/ the appropriate app streaming would be a choice)?

I'll still be curious about the Apple AirPort routers (or 'base stations') w or w/o storage - if a Wi-Fi network can be setup to communicate w/ an Apple laptop or iDevices w/o an internet connection, what features are really provided? Possibly Time Machine backup - others? Could movies on the Time Capsule really be streamed to an iPad? If so, is AirPlay used or an app required? Dave :)

OP
M
Reaction score
This discussion is helping a lot so I really appreciate all of your input! Airport Time Capsules are very pricey so I'm starting to think of ways to do this cheaper. Since the Airport Time Capsule is a hard drive with a built in router, and I'm going to need a router in my motorhome anyway (so I can pick up free wifi from Home Depot, Starbucks, Walmart, etc. when available), couldn't I accomplish the same thing for a lot less money if I buy a router that will connect to any device and a much cheaper NON wifi 2 to 4 TB external hard drive? Connect the normal NON wifi external hard drive into the router with a USB cable and then watch the movies on the hard drive with my iPad 1 using Filebrowser? Would that work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I verified this by calling Apple again and the Airport Time Capsule does create its own wifi network without an internet connection. It is basically an external hard drive with a built in router.

I called DirectTV and asked them if its possible to transfer movies/TV shows from their DVR to my external hard drive and she said it was but said that since that is a third party application that she wouldn't be able to tell me how to do that.

Yes apparently I can play movies on my iPad by "beaming" them from the Airport Time Capsule using the Filebrowser app.
Well, when my cable modem goes out I lose the internet, but I am still connected to my AirPort Extreme router via Wi-Fi, so assume that is the explanation - curious what I could do relative to my other computer or by attaching an external HD directly to the base station - will need to give it a try?

I have never heard of the Air Stash until now. Is the Air Stash basically a router that could enable me to do this with a much less expensive NON wifi hard drive?

Check the previous link given and also their Website - the AirStash is not a router but establishes its own personal Wi-Fi network; you then enter settings on your iPad and select that network; finally a proprietary (free) app on your iDevice allows communication w/ the AirStash w/ an inserted SD card - SD cards could have movies stored which could be streamed to your iPad - you would just need to figure out how to get the film files onto SD cards?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This discussion is helping a lot so I really appreciate all of your input! Airport Time Capsules are very pricey so I'm starting to think of ways to do this cheaper. Since the Airport Time Capsule is a hard drive with a built in router, and I'm going to need a router in my motorhome anyway (so I can pick up free wifi from Home Depot, Starbucks, Walmart, etc. when available), couldn't I accomplish the same thing for a lot less money if I buy a router that will connect to any device and a much cheaper NON wifi 2 to 4 TB external hard drive? Connect the normal NON wifi external hard drive into the router with a USB cable and then watch the movies on the hard drive with my iPad 1 using Filebrowser? Would that work?

Yes my very thoughts - a 2-3 TB Time Capsule is indeed expensive and not really needed - please return to one of my previous posts and look at the Apotop Wi-Reader link and read the information carefully - this device allows a number of different inputs, including a USB connection to an inexpensive external HD (I'm using 1 TB Seagate HDs for my Time Machine BUs - these were under $100).

You don't need a router to use Wi-Fi in a hotspot cafe, like Starbucks, etc. - the iPad can simply connect by itself - I'm sure you already know that? Of course, a device like the Seagate GoFlex HD offers both storage & a personal Wi-Fi network - now I've not use this device and there are some negative reviews on Amazon - follow the link, if interested. Dave :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Still have to ask - have you solved the first step? e.g. Getting the movies from a cable companies DVR onto a computer?

Without that and willing to spend the time (in real time - a 2 hour movie is going to take 2 hours of time), deciding what end device to use is fairly pointless. Are you wanting to take 5 movies? - 10 hours time is not too bad - but 25 or 50 movies and have to spend 50-100 hours or more to get them into a format that will play on an iPad first? Are you willing to spend that time? Then need to know what size the files will be in order to purchase an appropriately sized drive.

OP
M
Reaction score
The Airport Extreme is like the Airport Time Capsule minus the built in hard drive, right? If so, how come the Airport Extreme is tall like the Time Capsule and not short like the Airport Express?

I was thinking that I want watching a movie on my iPad to be as easy as watching a movie on my iPad with Netflix which means I'd rather access a few hundred movies on a big hard drive directly than to have to constantly be loading them on to an SD card.

Well, when my cable modem goes out I lose the internet, but I am still connected to my AirPort Extreme router via Wi-Fi, so assume that is the explanation - curious what I could do relative to my other computer or by attaching an external HD directly to the base station - will need to give it a try?

Check the previous link given and also their Website - the AirStash is not a router but establishes its own personal Wi-Fi network; you then enter settings on your iPad and select that network; finally a proprietary (free) app on your iDevice allows communication w/ the AirStash w/ an inserted SD card - SD cards could have movies stored which could be streamed to your iPad - you would just need to figure out how to get the film files onto SD cards?

The Apotop Wi-Reader looks interesting and $54 is reasonable. Did you get the $53 model or the $80 one?

I was considering the Seagate wifi hard drive before I found out about the Airport Time Capsule. I've seen a couple new Airport Time Capsules on Craigslist for about the same cost as the Seagate wifi drive but with twice the TB.

I'm still figuring this out but I think the reason for needing a router (and the Apotop Wi-Reader is a router too) is that I will probably have an omni directional wifi antenna on the top or a small Yagi directional wifi antenna (to pickup free internet) that will be connected to a signal booster, and if I remember correctly, I think the router needs to be connected to the booster??

Yes my very thoughts - a 2-3 TB Time Capsule is indeed expensive and not really needed - please return to one of my previous posts and look at the Apotop Wi-Reader link and read the information carefully - this device allows a number of different inputs, including a USB connection to an inexpensive external HD (I'm using 1 TB Seagate HDs for my Time Machine BUs - these were under $100).

You don't need a router to use Wi-Fi in a hotspot cafe, like Starbucks, etc. - the iPad can simply connect by itself - I'm sure you already know that? Of course, a device like the Seagate GoFlex HD offers both storage & a personal Wi-Fi network - now I've not use this device and there are some negative reviews on Amazon - follow the link, if interested. Dave :)

No I haven't figured out how to transfer the movies from a DVR to my hard drive yet because I've been too busy lately with the rebuild of my RV but Direct TV said its doable. A friend of mine just told me that he has a hard drive with 200 to 300 movies on it so I'm going to check that out this week. Normally I would need MP4's for the iPad, right? But since I'm not going to download them on to the iPad, or play them from iTunes, maybe it won't matter what format they are in? There are a couple highly rated iPad apps that enable you to play many different video formats on an iPad.

Regarding how many movies I'm going to take with me... well, since I'm heading to the tip of South America, I was hoping to take at least a few hundred movies.

Still have to ask - have you solved the first step? e.g. Getting the movies from a cable companies DVR onto a computer?

Without that and willing to spend the time (in real time - a 2 hour movie is going to take 2 hours of time), deciding what end device to use is fairly pointless. Are you wanting to take 5 movies? - 10 hours time is not too bad - but 25 or 50 movies and have to spend 50-100 hours or more to get them into a format that will play on an iPad first? Are you willing to spend that time? Then need to know what size the files will be in order to purchase an appropriately sized drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello again - yes, the Airport Extreme is the Apple router by itself - I have the flat previous model which is 802.11 b/g/n - the newer 'vertical' one adds the newest 'ac' protocol. Apple simply decided on a new design for their top of the line routers (w/ or w/o storage) - don't know why - possibly for placement of multiple antennas?

Well, a Wi-Fi connection to the internet does make a big difference - ;) And you're right about the SD cards, the 32 GB ones are fairly inexpensive but might hold just a half dozen movies, depending on their length & compression software used - we did not know 'how many' movies you wanted, but from below up to 200 - that would be a LOT of SD cards, so the AirStash device I mentioned (which can 'stream' movies to your iPad) would not be a great option for you.

The Airport Extreme is like the Airport Time Capsule minus the built in hard drive, right? If so, how come the Airport Extreme is tall like the Time Capsule and not short like the Airport Express?

I was thinking that I want watching a movie on my iPad to be as easy as watching a movie on my iPad with Netflix which means I'd rather access a few hundred movies on a big hard drive directly than to have to constantly be loading them on to an SD card.

I do not own the Apotop Wi-Reader so you'll have to read the links provided previously; from my understanding this device (which has NO inherent storage) will set up a Wi-Fi network and stream from a variety of attached sources, including SD cards, USB sticks, or a USB external drive, so the latter might be a choice for you?

You're really 'beating your head against the wall' over this router issue - you don't need a router just a 'Wi-Fi' network & the appropriate app(s) on your iPad to use either the AirStash, the Apotop Wi-Reader, or something like the Seagate GoFlex. If you have 'super' antennas to pick up 'public' Wi-Fi in your motorhome, then I'm assuming you will have a device that will broadcast the signal in you motorhome for use w/ the iPad?

The Apotop Wi-Reader looks interesting and $54 is reasonable. Did you get the $53 model or the $80 one?

I was considering the Seagate wifi hard drive before I found out about the Airport Time Capsule. I've seen a couple new Airport Time Capsules on Craigslist for about the same cost as the Seagate wifi drive but with twice the TB.

I'm still figuring this out but I think the reason for needing a router (and the Apotop Wi-Reader is a router too) is that I will probably have an omni directional wifi antenna on the top or a small Yagi directional wifi antenna (to pickup free internet) that will be connected to a signal booster, and if I remember correctly, I think the router needs to be connected to the booster??

Well, does your friend have the same 'taste' in movies that you do? If so, would he allow you to duplicate his HD - then the Apotop Wi-Reader would serve your needs - just thinking out loud here @ the moment.

BUT, if you want 200 movies and the movies are about 2 hrs long each, you'll need 400 hours to transfer these movies from a DVR (which still has not been resolved) to whatever media you decide to use? Now a single sided DVD-R holds about 4.7 GB of video; of course, depending on your video compression software, file size might be reduced to half of that size - I just checked two of my DVD-Rs (from the TCM channel; each a 2 hr film) and nearly all of that space was used; thus, using 4 GB/movie x 200 = 800 GB, so a 1TB external HD would be your minimum requirement, again cheap if you go w/ nearly any brand these days. Dave

No I haven't figured out how to transfer the movies from a DVR to my hard drive yet because I've been too busy lately with the rebuild of my RV but Direct TV said its doable. A friend of mine just told me that he has a hard drive with 200 to 300 movies on it so I'm going to check that out this week. Normally I would need MP4's for the iPad, right? But since I'm not going to download them on to the iPad, or play them from iTunes, maybe it won't matter what format they are in? There are a couple highly rated iPad apps that enable you to play many different video formats on an iPad.

Regarding how many movies I'm going to take with me... well, since I'm heading to the tip of South America, I was hoping to take at least a few hundred movies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Just to chip in again. Most routers will not connect to free wifi and re-broadcast it to it's connected devices.

Even if you use a router/bridge than can connect and rebroadcast wifi (like a TP-Link nano router for example) many cannot connect to 'free' commercial wifi as there is often an authentication process (username, tel no, tick this box for terms and conditions etc) that the router can't handle.

In this instance you'd need to connect directly to the free wifi from you're iPad not via the router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.