Tips on maintaining my new MBP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2.26GHz
Hi there!
As the title suggests, two weeks ago i purchased a beautiful new MBP :) and am completely new to this forum!
I am now fairly well versed with Mac OS and only have two questions;

I believe new MacBook's and MacBook Pro's come with a lithium polymer battery, that doesn't need the full discharge/charge cycle that old lithium ion needed to keep good health, so am I correct in thinking that I'm safe to use 20% or so of the batter then charge from there?

My other curiosity is that I leave my Mac plugged in whenever I'm at my desk, leaving the MagSafe charger in over night and at regular intervals throughout the day when I'm not there with the machine in sleep mode, is this good for the battery or would it be better for me to shut down the machine and unplug the charger every time I'm away? The reason i don't want to leave it in sleep mode but unplugged for longer periods of time is to keep the battery cycles down.

Thank you in advance for your invaluable advice and any other tips for a Mac newbie would be much appreciated!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi there!
As the title suggests, two weeks ago i purchased a beautiful new MBP :) and am completely new to this forum!

Thank you in advance for your invaluable advice and any other tips for a Mac newbie would be much appreciated!

Tips:

- Buy a protective sleeve or case for your MBP (search the forum for previous threads).

- DON'T DON'T DON't drink ANY beverages when using your MBP!!!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
Tips:

- DON'T DON'T DON't drink ANY beverages when using your MBP!!!:)

- Nick

*Put's down can of coke* :Oops:

The only thing I would suggest is that you don't leave it plugged in for large amounts of time once the battery has fully charged since this will greatly reduce the battery life!

I shouldn't worry too much though, since they do last a long, long time!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2.26GHz
thanks everyone! pigoo3 do you mean a sleeve for carrying it around or something that would stay permanently on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
Try not to leave it in excessively cold or warm places as it will reduce your battery life. Try not to eat or drink around it and be careful when moving it around. I recommend putting it to sleep before moving it because it reduces the risk of damage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Follow these instructions to calibrate your battery and keep it in good condition for as long as possible.

And as mentioned, if it is charged to 100% and you're not using it, don't leave it plugged in. You can leave it plugged in as long as you're using it. My brother does that with his white MB that he purchased in early 2008 and the battery is in good condition to this day.

Reaction score
wash your hands before using it so you dont get those annoying oil stains on the track pad and palm rests

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (OS X Leopard 10.5.8), Intel Core 2 Duo (2.53Ghz), 4GB RAM, 7200RPM/250GB HDD
*Use Onyx as mentioned before.

*Upgrade to leopard (I don't think this HAS to be done, but I guess Leopard speeds up system performance, adds a virus app, etc.)

*Close your MBP before moving it

*Don't leave plugged in after 100% charged unless your using the computer

*Turn off Bluetooth if your not using it

*Use the soft tissue slip that came with the Mac to clean the screen. Don't put any liquids or anything on the slip, just use it to clean the screen.

**Keep the restore disk in a SAFE PLACE !

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Have fun with your new toy :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*Upgrade to leopard (I don't think this HAS to be done, but I guess Leopard speeds up system performance, adds a virus app, etc.)
I'm assuming that since he just bought his macbook pro 2 weeks ago, that it already has snow leopard on it but I could be wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Windows mentality, which I also had hahaha. There is really nothing you need to do to maintain the hardware or software except installing Apple updates. Physically, I got a really nice WWII-style messenger cotton canvas laptop bag by Case Logic. It is padded on all sides, and looks like you are on the European front haha. Also, obviously, do not spill wine etc. on it lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (OS X Leopard 10.5.8), Intel Core 2 Duo (2.53Ghz), 4GB RAM, 7200RPM/250GB HDD
I'm assuming that since he just bought his macbook pro 2 weeks ago, that it already has snow leopard on it but I could be wrong.

I have a MBP and it didn't come pre installed on my mac. Got mine this passing christmas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Contrary to what everyone else is saying, I do not believe that keeping your MacBook Pro charged will harm your battery.

According to what my Coconut Battery app is saying, the battery does not charge while at 100%...

I would still calibrate the battery once in a while. =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a MBP and it didn't come pre installed on my mac. Got mine this passing christmas.

That's strange because I got my iMac on Christmas as well and it came pre installed with snow leopard.

Reaction score

Virus app????? I just got confused I though it didnt have a virus app on there, Im still learning my OSX Snow Leopard sorry if this sounds dumb.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2.26GHz
it did come pre-installed with Snow Leopard, I have installed OnyX now too. Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.