Slow start up

Reaction score
I read how to refresh memory? by using code something upon restart but have forgotten it. can anyone refresh my memory?:$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Do you mean reset the PRAM/SMC?

That really depends on which Mac you have . . . . .
About NVRAM and PRAM

Reaction score
Do you mean speed up your Mac start-up? Well, I know Magican can list all your start-up items, you could check them and close some rarely used items, hopes that helps~

OP
O
Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro up-to-date with all software. I believe I found control p,r would clear something so that it will start faster. My system has 4gb of ram and has been fine but at times seems exceptionally slow. As I am on Facebook games a lot I can't help but wonder if the massive amount of data being passed back and forth could be overwhelming my memory. And I was looking for control through my Macbook pro, not a program but thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I have a Macbook Pro up-to-date with all software. I believe I found control p,r would clear something so that it will start faster. My system has 4gb of ram and has been fine but at times seems exceptionally slow. As I am on Facebook games a lot I can't help but wonder if the massive amount of data being passed back and forth could be overwhelming my memory. And I was looking for control through my Macbook pro, not a program but thanks.

There's no way the data from facebook games is overwhelming 4gb of ram. It's far for likely to be an internet speed.

Facebook games tend to rely heavily of flash. Make sure that's up to date.

When it's running slowly open Activity manager and see what's using high amounts of CPU.

It would also help if you could expand on what you mean by running slowly. The whole system? Just the browser? other applications?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Safari &/or Firefox & flash could certainly be eating up 4GB of RAM. I often find my free memory at less than 100MB - have seen it as low as 28MB free and with no flash content being used.

Have had to start using a memory manager with 10.8 to free RAM instead of restarting or quitting Safari & Firefox. Not at a Mac currently and can't remember the name of the one I'm using.

edit:
But, before you even go there, as mrplow states, you need to open up Activity Monitor and find out whether your issue is related to memory or CPU intensive tasks.

Do you mean speed up your Mac start-up? Well, I know Magican can list all your start-up items, you could check them and close some rarely used items, hopes that helps~

There is absolutely no need for any 3rd party application to find your startup items.

You open System Preferences - Users & Accounts and look at your log in items to delete, add, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.