Folder setup

Reaction score
Using Migration Assistant I have transferred from WIN XP to Mountain Lion. Now getting in terrible mess setting files into folders.
Have set up folders. Then in Finder I find the migrated files in bulk which I drag to the relevant folder icon BUT that just puts the files on the desktop itself NOT into the folder.
I am missing something basic here.
Can anyone help, or direct me to a simple webside which describes what I need to do, please.
Richard

C

chas_m

Why not just do this?

(ie, select a number of files, right-click or control-click on any one of the selected items, choose option at the top)

NewFolderFromSelection.jpg

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Don't think I have ever noticed that before - slick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OP
E
Reaction score
You make it sound so simple, Chas, and blindingly obvious. I got the multi-selection part ok but a following right click did not occur to me. Thank you yet again for your input. I wish I could find a good simple guide to these sort of things. Mac is reputed to be intuitive, but I guess that is only when one has dumped the WINDOWS culture from one's brain. Problem for me is that I do not live in a big town so there are not any local resources for quick reference or sit down and discuss. I am getting there though, but frustratingly slowly.
Doubtless I'll be back for more advice, so until the next time.........Thanks again
Richard

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Doubtless I'll be back for more advice, so until the next time.........Thanks again
Richard

That's why we don't give away all the secret knowledge in one shot. If we did no one would come back. :)

OP
E
Reaction score
Always better to try to learn by experience too...............but thanks, all the same for digging me out when I get out of my depth.
Richard

C

chas_m

Glad to help. There is no one place where you can absorb every tip or trick ... I'm still learning new stuff all the time, and of course Apple keeps rearranging the furniture every year or two ... :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.