Mouse movement not as sharp as windows?

Reaction score
Loving my new mac from pc but I have to say the mouse movement is less accurate/responsive than my windows machines.I have changed the settings in preferences with speed etc but I feel as though Im moving the mouse and the curser is slightly delayed. I felt this in the mac store but couldnt be sure until I got it home. I tried the windows mouse on the mac but still the same, is there any other mac mice I can try or any other settings? Thanks Sam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you've learned mousing on Windows, it will take some time to get used to the Mac's acceleration curve. The curve on the Mac is much sharper (it slows you down more at slow speeds for graphics work, and speeds up more at faster speeds for Apple's huge monitors.) The Windows curve is much more linear.

You'll get used to it in a month or so, or you can find alternative mouse drivers to flatten the curve to a more Windows-style feel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I totally second what technologist said, It does take time to get used to it - it is also possible to increase mouse responsiveness with a mouse other then the Apple mouse (ie: a higher resolution mouse can be more responsive, the mightymouse is only like an 800dpi mouse) but it will still feel different then in Windows. I know every time I bootcamp into xp to play a few games, I have to compensate for the way the mouse feels in XP.

It's definitely different, but once you get used to it, it's not bad - just weird at first :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I wonder what I'm doing with my mouse and trackpad because I haven't noticed a difference. The default speed is really slow, and when I have to use the guest account for some reason, it's pretty infuriating. Once I speed up the tracking though, it really seems to fly.

OP
S
Reaction score
Try this:

MouseZoom 2.2 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker

It slows down as well if you need, or you can make it so fast you don't see it!

Thanks i have installed this but it is a finer adjustment of speed, the problem I have is I feel the curser is lagging behind the movement of the mouse, if I go to select a list item for example, as I quickly move the mouse down the page to click the item the curser isnt on the item and I have to move it that bit more than where I am expecting it to be, It wouldnt be so bad if I was using mac only as I would account for this as a new habit over time but I will be using my pc also and its a shame to feel the new mac is sluggish in this important area. if anyone knows of any update/driver/ap that might solve this I would be grateful, thanks for your help.
Sam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I have no idea what you're talking about... the mouse and cursor's movements are completely in sync...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
I found the 'Mighty mouse' totally impossible to work with - the lack of clear buttons on the surface of the mouse and the sensitivity of the side buttons meant that the cursor was all over the place. So I went back to my Logitech wireless mouse, which works perfectly. My advice - give up on Apple's input peripherals, they look pretty, but they are un-ergonomic and bad for you!

OP
S
Reaction score
I found the 'Mighty mouse' totally impossible to work with - the lack of clear buttons on the surface of the mouse and the sensitivity of the side buttons meant that the cursor was all over the place. So I went back to my Logitech wireless mouse, which works perfectly. My advice - give up on Apple's input peripherals, they look pretty, but they are un-ergonomic and bad for you!

Exactly, how can they miss and important detail like that! Its clumsy and doesnt fit yr hand in anyway. I still have the mouse action feeling like its delayed when I move the mouse, I wish I could fix it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Exactly, how can they miss and important detail like that! Its clumsy and doesnt fit yr hand in anyway. I still have the mouse action feeling like its delayed when I move the mouse, I wish I could fix it!

Did you try Mouse Zoom like I suggested?

OP
S
Reaction score
SHAME Shoddy Mac mouse movement is killing me

I am impressed with my new mac apart from the mouse action ,however this is a giant downfall for me. I never suspected for one minute when I got a mac I would have a problem with the mouse action, I am a graphic designer and my work is mouse heavy when I first started using my imac I felt the mouse was sluggish compared to windows and despite tweaking the mac settings could not get rid of the sense the mouse wasnt following my movements precisely. I soon found that my mac uses a different tracking curve so continued to use it hoping I would get used to it. Its been three weeks now and I am getting pains in my wrist and am worried my career in design will end prematurely due to severe wrist pain in the long run, I desperately went online to find a solution to find lots of others are having problems and screaming for a solution from apple just take a look at the desperate threads here An OS X Mouse Tracking Fix Has Arrived! — Plastic Bugs.
Otherwise great but this issue is hugely disapointing to say the least!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
I don't think that Apple listens to its users at all - there have been numerous complaints about the mouse in various forums for some time and, as far as I can see, no response from Apple. I ditched both the mouse and the keyboard after a day of use and I wrote to Ives the design director and didn't even get a 'Thank you for your letter' response. Ives and his team are very good at designing pretty objects but appear to have no concept of usability behind the design. The latest cock-up is the new iPod nano which has the camera right where your fingers hold the device, leading to pictures of fingers, rather than pictures of the scene. Physical design - beautiful, usability design - rubbish.

PS to the last - I'm using a Msoft ergonomic keyboard and a Logitech wireless mouse - both properly designed for human hands and fingers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The funny thing is the Apple mouse has behaved pretty much the same since 1983 or so and to be honest, it's simply a matter of getting used to how the mouse movements differ. This is actually true of all OS's I've used (they all deal with pointers differently), but the whole thing is covered in the above link.. along with multiple solutions.

I guess what I was attempting to say up there was this... the complaints would be substantially more if Apple suddenly duplicated Microsofts mouse handling.

OP
S
Reaction score
Tried mouse zoom but that only speeds it up not making selection more accurate, also tried usboverdrive and steermouse, Ive just done a stretch of 5 hours on this machine and my hand is aching what a nightmare!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6
haha i swear i just wrote about this issue in another post like 5 mins ago.

You'll get used to it in a month or so, or you can find alternative mouse drivers to flatten the curve to a more Windows-style feel.

...I never did... :(

the complaints would be substantially more if Apple suddenly duplicated Microsofts mouse handling.
So why can't apple give the user a choice between the two? all it would take is a simple radio button to switch between the two curves. I mean it seems like apple's entire marketing campaign is aimed at getting people to switch from pcs so they cant just ignore the fact that MANY mac users have been using pcs and gotten used to that mouse behaviour.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
haha i swear i just wrote about this issue in another post like 5 mins ago.

...I never did... :(

So why can't apple give the user a choice between the two? all it would take is a simple radio button to switch between the two curves. I mean it seems like apple's entire marketing campaign is aimed at getting people to switch from pcs so they cant just ignore the fact that MANY mac users have been using pcs and gotten used to that mouse behaviour.

Yea, but they're not trying to make their OS like Microsoft's. In case you didn't notice, a large part of their advertising in getting people to switch is, "come to the light! This OS doesn't suck like the one you're used to!"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yea, but they're not trying to make their OS like Microsoft's. In case you didn't notice, a large part of their advertising in getting people to switch is, "come to the light! This OS doesn't suck like the one you're used to!"

Originally Posted by technologist

For some reason I never had the OP's issue. Just when I got the Plus back in 1992 with System 6, the only thing I had to get used to was the Acceleration curve being different.

Back then I don't remember any of the accelerators like for OSX. I turned it up all the way in the Mouse control panel and after a week or so I never even noticed. In fact Windows the way I had it set up seemed too fast and harder to not overshoot the mark!

I do not use any of the 3rd party mouse accelerators in OSX. Tried some and it felt almost too fast. I just use the native OSX mouse properties in System Preferences and it's fine. On one of my Macs with a Logitech I have the Logitech panel installed and did some custom tweaking on that mouse as it seems a bit too slow, but all my other mice were just right.

I keep reading how the mouse under OSX is laggy and you can't point right at a clicker and it's always so hard to point and click on a button, but I really have never had that issue.

OP
S
Reaction score
Is there any brand of mouse that offers extra features in their software that might allow settings to overcome this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.