MacKeeper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Any thoughts about MacKeeper?

Avoid like the plague. The forum is riddled with commentaries on this piece of crud. Feel free to use the forum's SEARCH function.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks. I did use the search function and it came up with two posts... one "avoid like the plague" with no reasons why. Anyhow... maybe I was only searching this forum and not the others. Learning my way. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks. I did use the search function and it came up with two posts... one "avoid like the plague" with no reasons why. Anyhow... maybe I was only searching this forum and not the others. Learning my way. Thanks again.

I get 56 hits when searching, but in a nutshell… the single biggest problem is the way it's marketed and spammed. There are dozens of websites purporting to do independent reviews of MacKeeper that are NOT independent and are really the equivalents of an infomercial. They also have a "Social Media Evangelist" who haunts various forums and review sites like MacUpdate, attacking any negative commentary on MacKeeper. They've spammed this forum with faked inquiries followed by faked praise for the software. They are sleazy and deceptive. Never mind that the software itself is buggy, does nothing particularly useful, is a resource hog, and difficult to get rid of. The AV component isn't even Mac-native… it uses Windows-software and WINE to get it to work in OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Second all that lifeisabeach has said. Avoid Ukraine software like that plague!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.