Reverting To a Backup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I uninstalled some software improperly and now it won't work, so I want to go back to my backup on my external. Is this how? I use super duper.

"Other Notes
My reccomendation is to use Carbon Copy Cloner if you have the space. This will make a copy of your current system and you can save it as a diskimage that you can revert back to if you have problems after the installation. To do this, start up from the install disk and under Disk Utility you can select to reformat a drive using a disk image."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Start up from your external drive and launch Superduper. Backup your external drive to your internal drive. Done.

To boot from an external drive, restart your Mac and hold down the option key (sometimes labeled "alt").

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Thats what I thought too. But when I do it I get a weird folder logo with a ? on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well the other alternative is to boot off the DVDs that came with your Macbook, select 'Tools> Disk Utility' and then restore your internal drive volume from the external drive.

But it sounds as though your external volume is HFS+ formatted, but with the wrong type of partition scheme. (It needs to use GUID).

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Well the other alternative is to boot off the DVDs that came with your Macbook, select 'Tools> Disk Utility' and then restore your internal drive volume from the external drive.

But it sounds as though your external volume is HFS+ formatted, but with the wrong type of partition scheme. (It needs to use GUID).

Thats weird, when I backed it up with superduper I never had a problem. And I used disk utility to format it. Is there somewhere I can check to see if it is GUID, or change it to that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure, just fire up Disk utility, select your external drive and it'll show you the partition scheme at the bottom of the window.

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

It says "Apple Partition Scheme" is this correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MB 2GHz 2GB RAM, iPod G1 10 GB and Classic 160GB
SuperDuper has been a pain in the **** for me. I like to use FileSalvage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It says "Apple Partition Scheme" is this correct?
Nah, for intel Macs it needs to be GUID Partition table.
Apple partition table is for PowerPC Macs.

You'll be able to read it fine, but it won't be bootable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.