Multiple Computers - 1 Set of Speakers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"
So I have a nice Mac workstation that I use daily. All my media is stored on it. However, with what I do for a living, I'm required to at least have Windows access. So along with a VM I run for light use, I also run a Windows computer alongside my Mac.

The problem is, I want to be able to hear sound from the Windows computer, but only have one set of speakers and really don't want to use a switch between them.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to pipe the sound coming from the Windows machine, over to my Mac, so everything plays through the same set of speakers. I'm on GB ethernet between the two and use Synergy daily to control the Windows computer. Now I just need the sound piped over.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server
I would try 2 1/8" male:male audio cables connected to a 1/8" y-adapter with 2 females to 1 male connections and then a female:female 1/8" coupler to connect to your speakers assuming they are attached with standard 1/8" audio cable.

Audio cable
c41bbe46_d_2009-10-14-13-7-16f_3_5mm-audio-extender-male-to-male-1.jpg

Y-adapter
249-146_s.jpg

Coupler
AAAAAu8d2F0AAAAAALQH4w.jpg

OP
Mike.Bowden
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"
This is interesting, never thought to go the other way with the audio. So essentially I'm taking both feeds off both computers, condensing it down into a single feed, swapping it from male to female with the coupler and hooking the speakers up.

Interesting.. this would work. I'll have to give this a try and see what happens.

Thanks, never through to go the other way with the audio cables.

I would try 2 1/8" male:male audio cables connected to a 1/8" y-adapter with 2 females to 1 male connections and then a female:female 1/8" coupler to connect to your speakers assuming they are attached with standard 1/8" audio cable.

Audio cable
c41bbe46_d_2009-10-14-13-7-16f_3_5mm-audio-extender-male-to-male-1.jpg

Y-adapter
249-146_s.jpg

Coupler
AAAAAu8d2F0AAAAAALQH4w.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.