removing programes in applications

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 10.4 blue 22" Display G5 10.5.8 dual2ghz BenQ e2220hd
good afternoon,
I would like to uninstall programes completely from applications,

Recently I draged microsoft word to the trash and deleted trash, but when i opened a document with the (microsoft word) thumbnail it opened microsoftword again?

this is confusing as I am trying to free up space on my limited drive,
any direction greatly received

diolch, blodwyn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
When you deleted MS Word, where did you drag it from?

Office on the Mac resides in a folder within Applications called, of all things, "OFFICE MAC 200X", with X being the year/version. If you want to delete Office or Word, pull it out of that folder. Also, make sure you take it out of the Applications folder at the systems level AND also check the one in your profile as well (Your Profile > Applications).

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 10.4 blue 22" Display G5 10.5.8 dual2ghz BenQ e2220hd
I draged it from the applications folder, and yes thank you I now dont have that billy-goats ms-word any more, horah!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I draged it from the applications folder, and yes thank you I now dont have that billy-goats ms-word any more, horah!

You may not have MS Word any more but you have bits and pieces of MS Office scattered about on your hard drive and in your home folder. MS Word has an uninstaller which you should have used. Dragging any MS Office application into the trash does not get rid of it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may not have MS Word any more but you have bits and pieces of MS Office scattered about on your hard drive and in your home folder. MS Word has an uninstaller which you should have used. Dragging any MS Office application into the trash does not get rid of it.

Regards.

Yes, it does. It gets rid of the App itself, which is what he desired. The uninstaller is optional for MS Office, as is the installer. The bits and pieces are not going to negatively impact his system or anything else other than use up a few Mb of disk space. This isn't Windows.

The Apps mentioned by Collin Bl will remove them if desired. Your best bet is to remove all of office to get rid of the bits and pieces.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Application publishers provide an uninstaller for a reason. If you're happy with just removing the application executable file but not all of its supporting files and folders, then that's fine, your decision.

And BTW, neither AppCleaner or AppDelete will remove all MS Office files and folders. Try it for yourself.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Application publishers provide an uninstaller for a reason. If you're happy with just removing the application executable file but not all of its supporting files and folders, then that's fine, your decision.

And BTW, neither AppCleaner or AppDelete will remove all MS Office files and folders. Try it for yourself.

Regards.

Application files on a Mac are far more than the .exe file on Windows. While they are analogous in many respects, please don't get the two confused. An App file is NOT simply an executable, it is a package containing much more, which is why the standard removal technique is simply drag to the trash and delete. I have used AppZapper specifically to remove Office as a whole and specific parts of Office on multiple occasions on multiple Macs and I find it does a fine job, so I'm not sure what you are referring to.

M$ is one of the few Mac software makers that provides an uninstaller package, but it is not required to remove the App. Again, this isn't Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.