Macbook Pro 2012 - Screen Problems

Reaction score
Hi..
I'm wondering if anyone's encountered this problem before.
Every once in a while, when I close my Macbook (not shutting it down) and then reopen it later, the screen will look turn into repetitive miniature stretched out versions of itself.

It's hard to explain, but here's a video of what it looks like:

MacBook problem - YouTube

I open the Macbook and the screen is pretty much black.
So I close and reopen and the horizontal squishy problem starts.
I close and reopen a few more times and eventually it rights itself.

However, there've been times when I've had to reboot.

Anyone have a guess and what might be wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
That almost certainly is a hardware problem, such as a loose cable or a connection that is shorting out, and only appearing intermittently due to the motion of opening/closing the lid.

A couple things to try up front are to reset the PRAM and SMC. You should also run the Apple Hardware Test.

Steps to rule out a software problem would be to create a new user and work from that user account to see if it persists. If it does, try manually downloading and reinstalling the most recent Update Combo for the version of OS X you are running (you failed to mention any system details). If it's a weird hardware driver bug, then that may clear it up. Barring that, you may have to reinstall OS X from scratch (or install it to an external or USB thumb drive and boot from that as a test). If the problems persist despite these steps, then you are looking at a repair.

In any event, make a complete backup before doing anything else.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That almost certainly is a hardware problem, such as a loose cable or a connection that is shorting out, and only appearing intermittently due to the motion of opening/closing the lid.

I agree with member "lifeisabeach". It could very well be a loose cable connection or one that is being pinched off by opening and closing the lid. If you feel up to it, go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look at the take apart instructions for your machine. You may be able to repair it yourself.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks guys. That's great info.

I'm running 10.8.5 OS X (just for reference).
Never used any type of 'cleaning' software, though I was tempted once to buy MacKeeper - looks like it's not worth it.

I think I've had it less than a year. I'm wondering - if I showed that video and brought my Mac in, could I expect a repair / replacement?

I'm in Korea, so I also wonder if the policies will be different here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your machine is still covered by the Apple Care warranty (one year) or extended coverage for three years, by all means take it to an authorized Apple service repair in Korea. The Koreans are well adept at doing repairs. Or, if you're in the military, take it to your local exchange and have them send it to an Apple repair service for you.

OP
D
Reaction score
Good to know!

If your machine is still covered by the Apple Care warranty (one year) or extended coverage for three years, by all means take it to an authorized Apple service repair in Korea. The Koreans are well adept at doing repairs. Or, if you're in the military, take it to your local exchange and have them send it to an Apple repair service for you.

Awesome. I had a friend - we bought our Macbooks at the same time - he was having problems. Not sure if it was the same kind - his Macbook would just suddenly turn off. Anyways, he took it in. They kept it for a while - and of course, the problem didn't occur there. They told him to re-install OS and that was it.

But I think in my case, since I have documented proof and because my problem is probably easier to replicate - if I keep opening and closing my computer, eventually it will occur - I'm hoping I have better luck.

Thanks!

OP
D
Reaction score
Just a follow up to this post.

I went to Apple Service Center here in Korea, turned in my Apple. They kept it for about 3 days. Ran test. Said they tightened the wires in the monitor and I haven't had a problem since.

So..looks like you guys were right!

Thanks everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.