Expanding Time Capsule

Reaction score
I am thinking of expanding my 500GB time capsule as my Macbook Pro is getting fully loaded with music files and I want to transfer them into an external device.

I am currently using time machine back up on my time capsule, and I would like to leave that and save the back up on the time capsule storage.

I was thinking of buying a Western Digital Elements 2TB external hard disk

--> WESTERN DIGITAL 2 TB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE - NEW & BOXED | eBay UK

.. and connect it via USB to the time capsule.

I found the following link quite helpful

--> How To Setup An External Hard Drive To Your Apple Time Capsule and Configure It

My only question is, will a 2TB external hard disk take ages to load from Finder?

Thanks. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I am thinking of expanding my 500GB time capsule as my Macbook Pro is getting fully loaded with music files and I want to transfer them into an external device.

I am currently using time machine back up on my time capsule, and I would like to leave that and save the back up on the time capsule storage.

I was thinking of buying a Western Digital Elements 2TB external hard disk

--> WESTERN DIGITAL 2 TB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE - NEW & BOXED | eBay UK

.. and connect it via USB to the time capsule.

I found the following link quite helpful

--> How To Setup An External Hard Drive To Your Apple Time Capsule and Configure It

My only question is, will a 2TB external hard disk take ages to load from Finder?

Thanks. ;D

It will take a LOT longer using a wireless connection than it would using a wired connection. But rather than adding an external drive to the Time Capsule, have you considered replacing the drive? I did just that recently, worked out GREAT! Here's a thread where I had more to say, with links:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/airport-networking-wireless/240934-expanding-time-capsule.html

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply :)

I connected an external hard disk with my time capsule and 'Enabled File Sharing' in airport utility. Following that I rebooted my time capsule.

When I log into the airport utility under disks I have listed my time capsule and the external hard disk.

But when I go into finder - shared - time capsule, I'm not seeing the external hard disk listed anywhere..

Any help please?

OP
F
Reaction score
OK I managed to do it.. What was needed is to format the external HD to FAT.

The only issue I have is when I create a new folder on it from my macbook I am getting this error message:

'The Operation cant be completed - An Unexpected error occurs (error -50)'

Any idea??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
OK I managed to do it.. What was needed is to format the external HD to FAT.

The only issue I have is when I create a new folder on it from my macbook I am getting this error message:

'The Operation cant be completed - An Unexpected error occurs (error -50)'

Any idea??

It's not necessary to use FAT32 to see it, and really it's just a bad bad bad idea to use FAT32 unless you are sharing files with a Windows computer. Even then, it shouldn't be used as a primary storage device. FAT32 is a bit fragile compared to HFS+ (the native file system for OS X) and NTFS.

Reformat it using Mac OS Extended (journaled). It will have to be attached to your Mac, not the Time Capsule, to be formatted. Once formatted, you can eject it, then connect to the TC. To view the drive, you'll have to select "Time Capsule" from your sidebar, then select the USB Drive.

EDIT: By the way, when you select "Time Capsule" from the sidebar and if you see no drives, you may not have logged in. Up top in the Finder window, you should see a button labeled "Connect As". Hit that to log in to the TC and its connected drive.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
My external drive attached to a Time Capsuleule. I then see two folders onw with the capsule behaves the same way. Usually I mount the external drive by double clicking the Time Capsule. I then see separate folders for the TC and each drive that's attached.

If you want to see the drives all the time mount them and then add the icons to your accounts login items.

Reaction score
new or Old Time Capsule

Sorry to ask a rookie question, but how do I know if I have a 'new' or 'old' TC? Can anyone give an example of model number please?

I have two TC's

one is a 1TB model number A1355 and the other is 1TB model number A1254.

The reason why I am asking is I'd like to know what the maximum upgrade possible on each of these time capsules.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.