First things to do with MacBook?

Reaction score
Hi there :)

So a refurbished Black Macbook should be arriving in the post tomorrow/soon-ish and I was wondering what the first things to do with it were;

e.g. calibrate the battery? update firmware? anything else like that?

This is going to be my first Mac so I'm a bit of a noob at the moment, anything I should be aware of?

Many thanks appreciate any replies! If this is in the wrong subsection a mod can move it - sorry! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the forum. There is a freebie here which may help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
Welcome to the forum! Really, there isn't much to do as far as maintenance. If it's coming from Apple, it should be in nice shape, so the main thing to do when you get it is just to have fun. Play around with all the new software and get used to the feel of the operating system. Maybe look through some desktop pictures in the latest Desktop Thread and customize your new Mac as you see fit.

OP
DaxWax
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Really, there isn't much to do as far as maintenance. If it's coming from Apple, it should be in nice shape, so the main thing to do when you get it is just to have fun. Play around with all the new software and get used to the feel of the operating system. Maybe look through some desktop pictures in the latest Desktop Thread and customize your new Mac as you see fit.

Cheers! What would you suggest is the best way to customize a mac? Any good software? (Sorry for being such a newbie at this:Grimmace:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
First things I do when I get a new Mac:

Transfer all my stuff over from my old mac with Migration assistant which makes it exactly like my old mac thus negating any 'first things' so I just use it for what I use a computer for - email, music [play,edit], moves, and generally running my digital life. Life which is getting more digital by the day.

However, when I got my first Mac the first things I did was put a blue 'get info' button in the Finder task bar. Then I set my terminal colors to be green on black rather than black on white default. Import bookmarks from old computer, set homepage, set up mail to work with my ISP, install EyeBalls, set up everything I like to have handy in my Menu Bar (which is a lot, my MB is busy), then run Software Update so everything is all nice 'n up-to-date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
Cheers! What would you suggest is the best way to customize a mac? Any good software? (Sorry for being such a newbie at this:Grimmace:)
I was mainly thinking desktop backgrounds, colors, and the like, but you can customize icons and various other aspects of your Mac too if you want. Check out applications like CandyBar to make customizing icons less of a chore if you want to change a bunch of them.

Also look for some cool applications that do tasks you find interesting. Look through some "best-of" lists, like this and this. You're bound to find at least one application that will make your life easier.

And don't be sorry or frustrated with being a newbie. If no one were ever a newbie at anything, we'd never have anything new. And really, that means we simply wouldn't exist. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP; 4GB RAM; 250GB HD
First things I do when I get a new Mac:

Transfer all my stuff over from my old mac with Migration assistant which makes it exactly like my old mac thus negating any 'first things' so I just use it for what I use a computer for - email, music [play,edit], moves, and generally running my digital life. Life which is getting more digital by the day.

However, when I got my first Mac the first things I did was put a blue 'get info' button in the Finder task bar. Then I set my terminal colors to be green on black rather than black on white default. Import bookmarks from old computer, set homepage, set up mail to work with my ISP, install EyeBalls, set up everything I like to have handy in my Menu Bar (which is a lot, my MB is busy), then run Software Update so everything is all nice 'n up-to-date.

Just curious.....
I am new to Mac as well....what is the EyeBalls installation that you reference in your post? Or where could I find additional info on functionality, etc.??

Thanks a bunch!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Just curious.....
I am new to Mac as well....what is the EyeBalls installation that you reference in your post? Or where could I find additional info on functionality, etc.??

Thanks a bunch!!

Let me Google that for you. ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.