Awaiting my MBP

Reaction score
My first post to say Hi, and I really appreciate all the info here.

Having been a PC user since the early days of DOS I'm finally dipping my toe in the Mac water and have ordered a MPB this weekend. (20 days delivery!!).

It was my first iPod and MusicMatch (no iTunes for Windows users back then) that first planted the switching seed, my 2G iPhone that started the germination and my 3G iPhone that finally had the idea break ground.

So, I'm a little daunted by all the new learning ahead and excited at the new possibilities.

19 days to go!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
My first post to say Hi, and I really appreciate all the info here.

Having been a PC user since the early days of DOS I'm finally dipping my toe in the Mac water and have ordered a MPB this weekend. (20 days delivery!!).

It was my first iPod and MusicMatch (no iTunes for Windows users back then) that first planted the switching seed, my 2G iPhone that started the germination and my 3G iPhone that finally had the idea break ground.

So, I'm a little daunted by all the new learning ahead and excited at the new possibilities.

19 days to go!

Congratulations on your new purchase! What specs did you order? I'm still waiting for my Macbook to deliver - The status was updated yesterday to "Shipment Prepared" and this morning it is "Shipped" - wooo!

OP
R
Reaction score
I ordered 2.8 with 320G/7200 drive.

I was surprised there weren't more options.

Is the RAM upgradeable after you get it?

The big thing I'll miss v my Dell is the integrated 3G. I can't find an express card that does 3G without a big lump sticking out the side.

I'm hoping it will tether to my iPhone OK for 3G surfing.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
The RAM is maxed out on MBPs. Which sucks but that could change with Snow Leopard. Leopard/XP/Vista (possibly not Vista 64-Bit) limit at just over 3GB (Leopard can use 4GB I have read that it can use 6GB but at 8GB it has problems).

Have fun with your MBP, I wish I got the 2.8Ghz but oh well. I am planning the upgrade to a 7,200rpm soon. Maybe this month depend on cash. Christmas is coming!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
The RAM is maxed out on MBPs. Which sucks but that could change with Snow Leopard. Leopard/XP/Vista (possibly not Vista 64-Bit) limit at just over 3GB (Leopard can use 4GB I have read that it can use 6GB but at 8GB it has problems).

Have fun with your MBP, I wish I got the 2.8Ghz but oh well. I am planning the upgrade to a 7,200rpm soon. Maybe this month depend on cash. Christmas is coming!

The new macbooks chipsets do not have a problem handling upto 6GB. It is only with anything higher that will cause a problem - This may be rectified in Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ordered 2.8 with 320G/7200 drive.

I was surprised there weren't more options.

Is the RAM upgradeable after you get it?

The big thing I'll miss v my Dell is the integrated 3G. I can't find an express card that does 3G without a big lump sticking out the side.

I'm hoping it will tether to my iPhone OK for 3G surfing.

Nice machine. I'm sure you will love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Wow! I cant believe that they are putting 2.8Ghz processors in Laptops.
My imac only has a 2.0Ghz. I need to get a 2.6 sometime soon.

Reaction score
Congratulations you have an awesome computer and welcome to the mac experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz MBP
The wait only gets worse... I ordered mine and have been waiting... thursday is the day!!!! My first Mac!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.