• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple predicted to discontinue 17-inch MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Apple predicted to discontinue 17-inch MacBook Pro

Though updates for the 13- and 15-inch models are on the horizon, Apple may not continue making its 17-inch MacBook Pro, according to one analyst.
mf.gif

a2t.img

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You don't need to discontinue it, you just need to price it accordingly. The price jump between a 15" and 17" is unjust when the parts are not all that different in cost, which brings up a point: if the 17" is profitable, why remove it, regardless of how slow it sells? We keep on hearing these rumors that the real "Pro" level computers(Mac Pro and MBP) are being dropped are altered away from their original roots, and it's all a bit unsettling. I like what these pro machines stand for, regardless of how slow they might sell, because to me at least, they are the computer I will eventually want to own. It's like Mercedes dropping the S-class because it's a slow seller when compared to the E-class. The most people buying a Mercedes, they get into a lower mark, and eventually go up to that S-class. What is Apple going to replace that dream of wanting that top-end machine when these are being rumored to go extinct?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, it's a simple fact... most folks who buy a notebook machine whether it be a Mac or PC simply do not buy 17" models. Look at all the leading PC notebook makers and what they offer: Dell, HP, Sony. Their most expensive models are those that are 13", 14" and finally 15". That's their bread and butter. Apple might drop the 17" and price the 15" accordingly. Whether that's good or bad remains to be seen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
With Apple's seemingly increasing hostility towards its professional customers, I wouldn't be shocked if this one turned out to be true. $300 extra above the 15-inch isn't as outrageous as some would lead you to believe when you consider that you have to spend another $100 on the 15-inch just to get a decent screen resolution (1440x900 by default is a joke), the 17-inch is the only model with either an Express card slot or more than two USB ports, and the speaker quality is very noticeably better.

Reaction score
This is one of those things where if I need what the 17" is offering I'm just going to buy a MP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
This is one of those things where if I need what the 17" is offering I'm just going to buy a MP.

That's somewhat confusing. An almost 40 pound MacPro isn't exactly portable like the 17MBP.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL. A 17" MBP isn't exactly portable either but I hear you.... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
That's somewhat confusing. An almost 40 pound MacPro isn't exactly portable like the 17MBP.

Not to mention that's the other Mac model whose death has been foretold in rumors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
LOL. A 17" MBP isn't exactly portable either but I hear you.... :)

Compared to some 17" HP's I've had/used, it's like carrying a feather. I don't mind the weight at all.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A 17" MBP is not all that heavy. As others have said it's a lot easier to lug around than a lot of other 17" machines.

If Apple does zap it and the Mac Pro, the Pro market will go elsewhere. Sad if it's true.

Reaction score
I think that Apple's concern is that I think they are pretty much maxed out on their production output. With improving working conditions in China and increased demand for products, they need to shorten up their line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'm more inclined to wonder about display cost. If the rumor about retina display for the Mac line is true, I'm inclined to think the consumer cost of the 17in MacBook Pro is going to be a significant increase.

I know that the iMac has a much larger display, but the 27in iMac only costs $2000, where the 17in MBP cost $2500. I can see them bumping up the cost on the iMacs a few hundred, but the 17in Pro is already insanely expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
A 17" MBP is not all that heavy. As others have said it's a lot easier to lug around than a lot of other 17" machines.

If Apple does zap it and the Mac Pro, the Pro market will go elsewhere. Sad if it's true.

Still, I prefer hauling a 15.. if I want a bigger screen.. an external monitor works wonders.. IMO the 17's not big enough to warrant the larger footprint for travel. That's just me though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
With improvements in screens, isn't looking at a 15 inch today easier than a 17 inch years ago?

Look at it this way...if the 15" display was improved...then the 17" display would be improved as well. The reason folks like a 17" display in a MacBook Pro is because you can see more (larger resolution) than on a 15" display.

And although an external display is a great way to expand a 15" MacBook Pro's abilities...a built-in 17" display (especially when traveling for work, school, etc.) can't be beat!:)

If you're sitting in an airport terminal waiting for a flight, and the library, or visiting a client on a business trip...and like a larger display...that 17" display comes in handy.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're sitting in an airport terminal waiting for a flight, and the library, or visiting a client on a business trip...and like a larger display...that 17" display comes in handy.

I understand the Chiropractor Association is definitely against discontinuing the 17" model..... :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand the Chiropractor Association is definitely against discontinuing the 17" model..... :p

Where do you think these "Big Guns" came from...carrying my 17" MBP around!;):

biceps-arnie-300x208.jpg

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Wow! You really put on the muscle quick from the last pic you posted. What kind of steroids are you taking?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow! You really put on the muscle quick from the last pic you posted. What kind of steroids are you taking?

You want some??...just kidding.;) I'm all natural baby!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.