harddrive crashed And i dont have mac os x boot cd

Reaction score
Hello there!! Ive a question .. My macbook's harddrive crashedd!! Thing is i dont have the reinstallation cd and the boot cd anymoreee! I forgot where i put them. Ive sent the macbook for repair to replace the harddrive. Will they install the os x too?? Or not?? If not, does this mean ive to buy the new leopard os x complete cd with the ilife and iwork??? Or can i just buy the snow leoprd os x upgrade cd?? Will this work?? Help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hmm. I will be surprised if they install the OS, it costs money and they will expect you to have your discs.
As for just getting the upgrade disc, I don't know what it would do if you try. I suspect you will get a message saying you need 10.5 installed first, so you may have to buy a complete pack, or go a-hunting for them thar discs.

Reaction score
Hmm. I will be surprised if they install the OS, it costs money and they will expect you to have your discs.
As for just getting the upgrade disc, I don't know what it would do if you try. I suspect you will get a message saying you need 10.5 installed first, so you may have to buy a complete pack, or go a-hunting for them thar discs.

I would think it depends on where the Mac is being repaired. If it is an Apple Store, wouldn't they reinstall the OS as part of the repair? Especially if it is under an Apple Care warrantee.

As for the Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD: Yes, it will install the OS on a new disk.

I bought the Snow Leopard "upgrade" for $29 at the Apple Store. The "upgrade" went fine, and just for grins, I installed the OS on a 16GB USB memory stick. It uses about 11GB of the memory stick, and now I can boot my MBP from the USB stick.

BUT: There is no iLife software installed! iLife is included with a new Mac purchase, and you get the iLife CD & the OS DVD - but if you lost the CD / DVD set, you are screwed. You have to buy iLife & the OS.

OP
R
Reaction score
If letssay they just replace the harddrive with a new one and dont install the os x together, can i just buy "snow leopard upgrade cd" that is just 29 euros?? And no, my laptop is not under warranty anymore.. Or if letssay i have a friend who has a reinstallation mac os leopard cd with ilife, can i use his cd then upgrade the os to snow leopard? Can i do that? Will there be any problem? And doesnt apple save any information in their server or what so ever that i did have a mac os x license before?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As suggested time to go hunting those discs or purchase a new set. Sounds like the friends reinstallation CD is a system install that came with his/her machine so that would not work either.

Not much point Apple keeping that information when you could have sold them, sold the Macbook and all the other possibilities but give them a try.

They do charge for replacement discs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Hello there!! Ive a question .. My macbook's harddrive crashedd!! Thing is i dont have the reinstallation cd and the boot cd anymoreee! I forgot where i put them. Ive sent the macbook for repair to replace the harddrive. Will they install the os x too?? Or not?? If not, does this mean ive to buy the new leopard os x complete cd with the ilife and iwork??? Or can i just buy the snow leoprd os x upgrade cd?? Will this work?? Help!!

and when you get it all sorted - look here http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/179369-backing-up-do.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.