virus on mac - pop up when i go on the internet

Reaction score
i was wondering if i need a virus checker because i get the message about your system could be at risk and to download this and it has microsoft on it.

i always say no but why do you get this. i am fully mac. Do i need a virus checker or spyware
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
No no no!
It is a trick to try and get you to install Microsoft Anti Virus software, or malware.

In your browser preferences, block pop ups, and also, Download OnyX for your version of OS X whatever that is, and clean out all your cookies, or alternatively, for Safari, reset Safari, and for Firefox, go to tools>clear recent history.
Without info on what OS X version you are using, or what browser you are using, this is the most precise info I can give you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
i always say no but why do you get this. ... Do i need a virus checker

Good for you - because someone's being naughty. ... No, as no virus for the Mac exists.

Reaction score
Scareware that will install Malware on a Windows box. Just ignore it and stay off of sites that have it as they are generally bad sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just make sure you have block pop-ups activated in Firefox > Preferences > Content and empty the cache from time to time.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It sounds like that Scare-Tactic Virus sight is in Firefox's cache. I would empty it and it should go away unless you go back to the page that stated the whole thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Don't worry, sunflowerfibers. The site is not getting any information about your computer. It's assuming that like most people you have a Windows machine and is trying to trick you into downloading something it claims you need. That's why it's telling you that Microsoft needs you to download it.

Even if you were to download whatever it is, it won't run on your Mac, which uses a totally different file type.

Reaction score
Do you guys think that a virus will eventually surface for Mac?

I am new to Mac so i am Niave. I always wonder if some hacker/ virus maker type nerd has been sitting for years in his mums cold basement making up a virus that will badly damage mac software????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do not worry about it. The world press would joyously trumpet if ever a Mac OS X virus crops up. Symantec, McAfee and others would faint with the pure joy of it all!

Reaction score
Do not worry about it. The world press would joyously trumpet if ever a Mac OS X virus crops up. Symantec, McAfee and others would faint with the pure joy of it all!

I whole heartedly agree with that. But do you not think it is bound to happen one day?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
No. That's why UNIX has been around for over 30 years, and will continue to be implemented in iPhone OS for years to come.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.