Java problems. Apple care reply. Is it true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.7 GHz quad core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB flash...
From java.com:

--
Chrome does not support Java 7. Java 7 runs only on 64-bit browsers and Chrome is a 32-bit browser.

If you download Java 7, you will not be able to run Java content in Chrome and will need to use a 64-bit browser (such as Safari or Firefox) to run Java content within a browser. Additionally, installing Java 7 will disable the ability to use Apple Java 6 on your system.
--

I did NOT get this message on java.com at the time I downloaded java 7. They have now put it on the front of the downloading page. Understandably. I guess there is a lot of PO mac users with chrome out there now with a browser that does not work with java.

I thought it must be possible to simply uninstall java 7 and instal the previous version. Wrong. On java.com looking for java 6 it all works out well for all OS (such as linux and PC) until you get the mac and it simply says:

--
Apple Java 6 for Mac OS X
For Java versions 6 and below, Apple supplies their own version of Java. Use the Software Update feature (available on the Apple menu) to check that you have the most up-to-date version of Java 6 for your Mac. For issues related to Apple Java 6 on Mac, contact Apple Support.
--

Well problem is that now with all java uninstalled and when I click software update I get no java updates or anything else related to java. So I went to the mac homepage and manually downloaded java for Mac OS X 10.7 (JavaForMacOSX10.7.dmg). Problem is when I double click that one I get the message:

"A newer package of this version is already installed"

So I have no JAVA and still get that message. When I uninstalled it I used mac keeper to remove all related java files. I have no java so it doesn't make sense.

I called Apple care and get this: she tells me that the only way I now can fix this problem and get back to using the java version I had on my mac before I installed java 7, is to reinstall the entire OS and format my HDD. My mistake was to install java from java.com. I mean if this is true, Mac should laserprint that on the cover of the laptop maybe with the addition of an apology of being so talentless to create such a scenario for Mac users. How on earth could I know this?

On the other hand, since java 7 works with safari when installed I start to think that some how this is some tactical move from Apple for getting mac users to start using safari instead of chrome. I think this is deliberately done to mess up for us chrome users. I for one will not stop using chrome, and I will download firefox or what ever else browser I can use with java 7 until chrome releases a 64-bit browser. What do you suspect is the real reason behind this?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You won't get a reply from Apply here as this site is not affiliated with Apple in any way.

Not to say you don't have a point, but my questions would be to google. "Why in the world is Chrome 32 bit since everything has been 64 bit for several years now. What's up with that google?"

The next thing you need to do is uninstall the junk application MacKeeper and keep that thing away from your Mac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not to say you don't have a point, but my questions would be to google. "Why in the world is Chrome 32 bit since everything has been 64 bit for several years now. What's up with that google?"

+1

The next thing you need to do is uninstall the junk application MacKeeper and keep that thing away from your Mac.

+1000 x ∞

Well said, bobtomay :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
On the other hand, since java 7 works with safari when installed I start to think that some how this is some tactical move from Apple for getting mac users to start using safari instead of chrome. I think this is deliberately done to mess up for us chrome users.
This has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with Oracle. For whatever reason, Oracle decided to make Java 64bit only and since Google does not ship a 64bit version of Chrome, it can't use it (you can't load 64bit plugins in 32bit browsers). Blame Oracle, not Apple for this one.

I don't know how you uninstalled it but follow the instructions here. Assuming you've done that (and assuming you are using Lion as your post suggests), you should be ready to install Java 6. You could also just wait until a Java applet needs to be loaded since OS X will prompt you to install a runtime when one is invoked.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.7 GHz quad core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB flash...
This has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with Oracle. For whatever reason, Oracle decided to make Java 64bit only and since Google does not ship a 64bit version of Chrome, it can't use it (you can't load 64bit plugins in 32bit browsers). Blame Oracle, not Apple for this one.

I don't know how you uninstalled it but follow the instructions here. Assuming you've done that (and assuming you are using Lion as your post suggests), you should be ready to install Java 6. You could also just wait until a Java applet needs to be loaded since OS X will prompt you to install a runtime when one is invoked.

No I did it the way they explained on the Java home page. Here: How do I uninstall Java 7 for my Mac?

So I can't find what they point to in that article you linked to. So I tried this:

On the same page you can read about how to reinstall the Mac:

Restore Apple's Java after uninstalling Oracle Java 7
If you find an issue using Java 7 and would like to continue using Apple's Java on your Mac, you will need to first uninstall Java 7, then restore Apple's Java
Note: To restore Apple's Java, you must have Administrator privileges and execute the command either as root or by using sudo.
Click on the Finder icon located in your dock
Click on Applications tab on sidebar
Click on the Utilities folder
Double-click on the Terminal icon
In the Terminal window Copy and Paste the command below:
sudo ln -s /System/Library/Java/Support/CoreDeploy.bundle/Contents/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

But when I do that basically nothing happens. I was asked to give my psw. Did that. I did it another time, then I got the message:

ln: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin: File exists

Tried software update and tried to install the java install file I downloaes from Apple. Still nothing.

I sure would appreciate if someone could help me get java back!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And in the process I've lost the /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences folder. Didn't come back when I installed java 7 again. MacKeeper "suggested" to delete that one. I guess your anger towards that software has some reason to it...

How do I get that utility back?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And in the process I've lost the /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences folder. Didn't come back when I installed java 7 again. MacKeeper "suggested" to delete that one. I guess your anger towards that software has some reason to it...

MacKeeper is one step up from malware, as far as I'm concerned. It's a sloppily coded piece of crapware whose capabilities existed and are better implemented in quite a number of different freeware products. In fact, it wasn't even a real Mac application up until recently - it was a bunch of Windows code slapped together with WINE to get it to run on the Mac. The only reason it's (often accidentally) installed most of the time is because of pervasive advertising.

Why is it so bad? Well, following its recommendations led you to this condition, just as an example... good thing it didn't recommend you delete or otherwise compromise a more important system file.

How do I get that utility back?

Java 7 is so new, that's going to be hard to answer. Previously, Apple implemented their own version of Java. It wasn't until Oracle stepped up with Java 7 that we ever had a non-native implementation. I wish I had an answer for you, but I suspect reinstalling didn't solve the problem because the installer sensed components still installed. I would check Oracle's support site for an inventory of all installed files so that you can manually remove them.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
In the Terminal window Copy and Paste the command below:
sudo ln -s /System/Library/Java/Support/CoreDeploy.bundle/Contents/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

But when I do that basically nothing happens. I was asked to give my psw. Did that. I did it another time, then I got the message:

ln: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin: File exists!
Seeing nothing printed back when you execute a command is a good thing - it indicates success. This is why you see the error the second time around since the first attempt was successful (the error is saying that the link you created already exists).

Try reloading your browser now. Since the command was successful at linking the official Apple plugin to the global browser plugins directory, it should work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Wait a minute... Google fails to deliver a 64-bit version of a web browser for an OS that has had a 64-bit architecture since 2009, and this is Apple's fault?

*facepalm*

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now I'm interested to know why Google doesn't build a 64bit version especially since the code base (Chromium) can be built on 64bit platforms.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Now I'm interested to know why Google doesn't build a 64bit version especially since the code base (Chromium) can be built on 64bit platforms.

ahhhh the sixty-four thousand dollar question.. personally, I think it's a huge gaff.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I shudder to think how much more resource intensive a 64-bit Chrome would be. It's already pretty bad now with it constantly turning on my discrete GPU for no apparent reason. I easily get 2-3 additional hours of battery life using Safari OR Firefox.

I won't be looking at Chrome again until they get smooth zooming AND find a way to drastically reduce power consumption.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True, one of the concerns about moving to 64bit is the need to allocate twice as much memory for each little task. Given that Chrome is already relatively memory intensive (add up all the renderer and workers processes and be amazed), the application would uses even more than it probably has to.

I suppose my interest lay in Google's decision to support a 64bit build for some platforms (Linux) and not others (Windows, OS X).

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seeing nothing printed back when you execute a command is a good thing - it indicates success. This is why you see the error the second time around since the first attempt was successful (the error is saying that the link you created already exists).

Try reloading your browser now. Since the command was successful at linking the official Apple plugin to the global browser plugins directory, it should work.

Actually no it did not worked. I opened and tried in both chrome and safari on a webpage which needed to load java, both cases I was asked to download java.

Finally I just gave up and downloaded java 7 again. Will be using 2 browsers from now on. 1 for java stuff and Chrome for the rest. By the way, installing java 7 did not bring back the Java preferences folder. I guess it is lost...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
Does java really need that java preferences folder? Maybe it was created the first time you ran java (since you just reinstalled it).. Have you checked since you ran java in the browser?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Java Preferences app is helpful in configuring Java. For instance, you can enable/disable it with ease which, although that sounds useless, is quite handy when security becomes a concern.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does java really need that java preferences folder? Maybe it was created the first time you ran java (since you just reinstalled it).. Have you checked since you ran java in the browser?

I was just hoping I could switch from Java 7 to Apples Java in there. Don't know if that was ever possible or not. That folder has not come back even though I have used java in a browser...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you checked to see which version of the plugin is loaded by the browser? It's possible that it's still trying to load the Java 7 plugin.

I've done some testing here. As expected, Chrome won't load Java if Java 7 is the default handler for applets. What's frustrating is the inability to disable Java 7 (the enable/disable checkbox is unresponsive) and with both versions set to be the default, Java 7 takes precedence. So, I'm guessing that somewhere, Java 7 is blocking Java 6 on your machine.

I just tried the instructions from Oracle (here) and they worked like a charm. I can now use Java once again in Chrome.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you checked to see which version of the plugin is loaded by the browser? It's possible that it's still trying to load the Java 7 plugin.

I've done some testing here. As expected, Chrome won't load Java if Java 7 is the default handler for applets. What's frustrating is the inability to disable Java 7 (the enable/disable checkbox is unresponsive) and with both versions set to be the default, Java 7 takes precedence. So, I'm guessing that somewhere, Java 7 is blocking Java 6 on your machine.

I just tried the instructions from Oracle (here) and they worked like a charm. I can now use Java once again in Chrome.

Then I don't get why it didn't work for me because I did that too. But I could not run any java in my Chrome after. Now I reinstalled Java 7 again so I can do daily stuff in safari. oh well, I'm planning to order a new MacBook Pro this month. When I receive that I will reinstall my current and it will work again, on both. I give up. I just have to remember not to install java....ever again....

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's possible that the plugin is simply disabled in Chrome. When you try to load an applet in Chrome, does it tell you that it's disabled or does it just fail miserably?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.