Macbook's glossy screen? Pro or Con??

J

jamieemm

Does the mac book come with a glossy screen? If so, then is it annoying or cool? I have a draft of light right onto my computer screen in the morning, will this be extremely glary or will it be OK?

OP
J

jamieemm

Glossy Screen? Pro or Con??

#1 Does the Mac Book come with a glossy screen for free? If so, is the glossy screen good or bad? I have a draft of light shining right on my computer in the morning, is this going to be a problem with the glossy screen?

Reaction score
i think the glossy screens are much better in natural lighting than the matte screens. they dont glare at all, or at least i havent found any glaring while using my macbook indoors or outdoors while near direct light.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D 2.33GHz - Glossy, Baby.
They are substantially less glossy than their PC counterparts. In fact, when mine first arrived, I thought they'd screwed up and set me a matte. In was only when I pulled up some HD images that I really noticed the difference.

I like the glossy. I think it's a nice middle ground between the matte and the super glossy screens companies like Toshiba have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
After many years with IBM ThinkPads (in fact, I still use one for work) and about two years with my iBook, all of which have matte screens, I have to say I love the glossy screen on my MacBook.

Colors are more vivid, the blacks are blacker, the whites are whiter. I work in an office with overhead fluorescent lights and I commute by train every day and glare and/or reflection is definitely not a problem for me.

Hope this helps.

OP
M

mobitsfa

I'd get a glossy screen. I seen one at the apple store and got sad because i bought my mbp before glossy screens were introduced. :(

OP
J

jamieemm

thanks cause my friend was like GET A GLOSSY SCREEN ITS SOO COOL! i wasnt sure, yeah that helps i will most definatly get a glossy screen!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D : 15.4" : 2GB : 120GB : Glossy
They are substantially less glossy than their PC counterparts. In fact, when mine first arrived, I thought they'd screwed up and set me a matte. In was only when I pulled up some HD images that I really noticed the difference.

I like the glossy. I think it's a nice middle ground between the matte and the super glossy screens companies like Toshiba have.

I just made the switch to a Macbook Pro last week, and I chose the glossy. My previous laptop was a Toshiba Satellite (with glossy screen). I don't know what you're talking about with the Macbook Pro screens, mine is nearly identical to my Toshiba. Not even CLOSE to matte. There is no way the two could be confused. Are you sure you didn't really get a matte?

OP
S

Sp71Supra

Ok my old powerbook g4, they came with the matte finish.. I always hated my friend Toshiba glossy screen... I swore I would never buy one like that. So I tell my one neighbor im getting a new macbook pro, and that they now have the glossy screen option. He said definatly get it... I was a little leary at 1st, then I took a trip to the apple store to compare before I ordered a $2700 laptop... there is no comparason, the glossy KICKS ***.. the other screen is so dull.. the blacks are so dark on the glossy. This glossy screen is not bad at all... I thought they sent me the matte finish as well... get the glossy you will not be dissapointed, take it from someone that hates glossy screens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D 2.33GHz - Glossy, Baby.
I teach college. Today I had my students go to the library to work, and had them bring their laptops. Looking over their shoulders at their work, I could see what the people with glossy screens were doing. Those with matte screens were not visible unless I came in close and put my head between the screen and the overhead florescent lighting.

Something to consider. The matte screens were dispersing the florescent light evenly across the screen, and that made it much, much harder to see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.