usb doesn't pop up on desktop

Reaction score
i just got my apple computer and I'm not too familiar with everything but i know by using my bfs macbook that when i plug in a usb device or a cd, an icon pops up on his desktop and tells him that somethings in there. i am running on lion and when i plug in my flash drive i have to look for it in Finder, it doesn't just pop up on the desktop! I HATE THAT!:Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry: helllpppp!!!!!!! :Grimmace::Grimmace::Grimmace:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Click on Finder at the top of the screen. Click on Preferences. In General be sure External disks is Checked. Also CD/DVD if you want those on the desktop.

If that does not work let us know.

Screen Shot 2011-11-20 at 12.27.26 AM.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Never a problem. If you have any other issues or questions, ask away.

Reaction score
it doesn't work :S

Hi, I have the same problem, but when I tried to follow the instructions, once i get to the General tab, it doesn't give me the option make the USB visible!

I attached a screen shot to this post to show you what I see.

Screen Shot 2012-07-25 at 10.54.02 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
Hi, I have the same problem, but when I tried to follow the instructions, once i get to the General tab, it doesn't give me the option make the USB visible!

I attached a screen shot to this post to show you what I see.

you're in the wrong preference window.

DO THIS
-click Finder on dock. It should show on menu bar beside apple logo the word "Finder".
-click Finder on menu bar.
-Preferences.
-General.

enjoy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.