Questions about accessories for Notebooks

Reaction score
Trying to find out the truth...

Ok, I have the new stunning macbook. It is a beauty hence I have not taken it out my home yet. Plus, I don't have a laptop bag that I feel will protect it from rain, snow, etc, as well as keep it safe inside.

What I am trying to find out is are shoulder bags bad for your bag? I heard that shoulder bags are bad for your back thus I should get a backpack.

Any truth to this?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It depends on the weight that you are carry. Either way if you are carry something very heavy with either a sholder bag or a regular backpack it's going to hurt your back regardless.

Highschool for me was terrible. AP books were like the size of dictionaries and that was like 5 books. I had to carry them around everywhere. I toppled backwards several times down a few flights of stairs because the bag was so heavy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
almost any time you're carrying unbalanced weight it's back for your back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
All true but a backpack having two straps and centered in the middle of the back should balance the weight better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I agree with everyone. Carrying anything heavy will raise havoc with your back eventually. I decided to use a backpack though because it does seem much better than having a bunch of weight sitting on one shoulder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
All true but a backpack having two straps and centered in the middle of the back should balance the weight better.
indeed it will, for the same reason the waist belt on a frame pack helps, although that drops the weight to your hips.. which improves the loads CG in relation to your body ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
My sister needed to carry around a tun of books in High School. She used a normal one-shoulder bag and after about a month the doctor said that her shoulder blades were unalligned and she needed to stop using the one shoulder bag.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks or all of the perspectives.

Ok, now, which backpack would you recommend or are there shoulder messenger bags that also can be worn like a backpack?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I have a Bum Backpack which acts as both backpack (obviously) and as a shoulder bag as well. it converts. It has a center line harness strap which goes around your waste (if you choose to hook it up and wear it) and takes most of the pressure off of your back. It's very comfortable, and has plenty of storage space, nooks and cranny's. It also has a through-the-bag zippered slot for when you want to store it on a luggage handle (so it won't fall off the luggage).

It's a pretty clever and well constructed bag. I also got it slightly discounted from Amazon as a "refurbished" item. Not sure of why it is called refurbished though. It came with everything it should have, and was perfect in every way.

Doug

Edit: Forgot to mention that the separate compartment which you store the laptop in, is very well padded and rugged as well. Fits very nicely.

OP
M
Reaction score
Who has a Rickshaw bag?

I am looking at the small commuter bag for my uni-macbook. If you have one, whats your evaluation?

OP
M
Reaction score
I want connect my uni-macbook to a projector, what do I need to have?

In fact, what are all the essential media connectors needed?

OP
M
Reaction score
Pros and Cons of ColcaSac, formerly AppleSac

What are the pros and cons of this notebook sleeve for those that know something more about it or have experienced it?

OP
M
Reaction score
I can wait for my TIMBUK2

I am getting the Razor Stripe Fabric medium Laptop messenger bag. I can not wait. I have not taken out my unimacbook out because my current laptop back pack is busted up and I want my MB safe and dry.

However, is there a lock that I can specifically get for my TB2 bag? Also, how many would still recommend a sleeve for the MB?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i love mine - basic black ballistic nylon messenger (medium) there seems to really be enough padding, so i don't think you'd need a separate sleeve.

i haven't heard of any sort of lock for the bag.

387850918_5311e03fda.jpg

OP
M
Reaction score
Is cold weather harmful to one's macbook? I won't doubt it. If so, how does one keep one's macbook at normal temperature when transporting it through frigged weather?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
afaik, it would have to get super cold, well below what humans can tolerate to damage a computer - at least from the cold alone.

i would advise that if it stays cold for an extended period of time, that you may want to let it warm up for some time so condensation doesn't form as the machine heats up too quickly and as you're using it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise and transfer of knowledge. perhaps other items in the bag would produce heat to prevent it from getting super cold.

Now, when summer hits, how would I keep it from getting hot? LoL..am I getting paranoid?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.