Looking to upgrade my MBP memory...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
I have a 15" MBP w/ 2G of memory and I'm looking to bump it up to 4G. Does anyone have any reccommendations as to where to look? Best deals? Easy self-install? Thanks in advance.

... oh, and is there anything special I need to be looking for in terms of the type of 4G memory? I know it has to be MBP/Apple compatible, but do these notebooks require anything else specific?

Reaction score
I'm actually in the same boat as you. I've heard sites like crucial and newegg referred many times and I think I'm going to check out those sites when I get some cash.

Self-install is real easy, there are videos all over the internet and there should be instructions under your battery of your MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
Looks promising and w/ good reviews, I'll have to check into it more later. Thanks!

Thats what I have in my MBP, good price, good reviews. HUGE difference over 2GB. I didn't think my MBP could be much faster when it had 2gig but after putting in 4 gig it was such a big difference. Its definitely worth the 100 bucks.

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
OWC has a good deal where after you buy RAM from them you have 60 days to return your old RAM for a cash buy-back. Any input on there products? (See link I posted a couple posts up)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
New egg, OWC, crucial, hard to go wrong with any of em.

Reaction score
Be wary of trading in your old RAM though. If you ever have to bring your MBP to the apple store for repair or what not, you should switch your RAM back to the original RAM that came in the notebook.

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
Well it's done, just ordered the 4G upgrade from OWC. I went w/ them because I thought I'd hopefully make some money back by selling them back my old RAM. Can't wait!

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
Be wary of trading in your old RAM though. If you ever have to bring your MBP to the apple store for repair or what not, you should switch your RAM back to the original RAM that came in the notebook.

Where were you two seconds ago!?

Reaction score
Well it's done, just ordered the 4G upgrade from OWC. I went w/ them because I thought I'd hopefully make some money back by selling them back my old RAM. Can't wait!

same, just ordered it aswell. cant wait for it to arrive before my laptop gets here! im so excited. ill have a mighty mouse, ram, and a new backpack, with no laptop...

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
Got the 4G in yesterday, installed in like 5 min, and I'm up in running twice as fast.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.