Wifi Problems

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section
I have a new macbook and I'm having wifi problems. It says I have full wifi but it barely works if it even does. I have all the newest updates and use safari/firefox. I know its not my wifi because I have tried multiple wifi sources and its all the same. Thanks for any help

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Can you describe the issues you are encountering a little bit more? You mentioned that it "barely works if it even does". Does that mean it's slow, pages don't load, you don't get an IP address, password isn't accepted, connection is inconsistent, etc?

Also, tell us a little bit about the kind of wireless access points you're testing with.

OP
S
Reaction score
Can you describe the issues you are encountering a little bit more? You mentioned that it "barely works if it even does". Does that mean it's slow, pages don't load, you don't get an IP address, password isn't accepted, connection is inconsistent, etc?

Also, tell us a little bit about the kind of wireless access points you're testing with.

It's really slow, and about every hour or two for like 15 minutes I can't load anything but my wifi signal bar still says full. I don't know about the IP address how would I find that out? My passwords are still saved.
I tested it on my mine ( i know it worked because I tested it on my old laptop) my neighbors who says theirs work fine, and a carribous coffee and all did the same with super slow internet while showing full bars.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At each of the WiFi connections, are they using any kind of security (i.e. do you have to enter a password)?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes I had to use passwords for both mine and my neighbors but I know I entered the right password

Are any of the networks that you're having trouble with unencrypted? Also, what kind of encryption are they using (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc?)

OP
S
Reaction score
Are any of the networks that you're having trouble with unencrypted? Also, what kind of encryption are they using (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc?)
Sorry I don't know, but I have an appointment with apple tomorrow to ask them about it so I'll post on here what they say.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.