Thunderbolt Display smaller than 27?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
My wife needs to get an external display for causal use with a MBA but 27 inches is too much. Is there a TBD smaller than 27 available? Rumors one will become available any time soon?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My wife needs to get an external display for causal use with a MBA but 27 inches is too much. Is there a TBD smaller than 27 available?

Nope...27" is all there is.

Rumors one will become available any time soon?

None that I am aware of.

One question for you. Does she NEED an Apple display? There are certainly MUCH less expensive options out there...various sizes as well.

- Nick

OP
rpg51
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
That is a good question. I am attracted to the docking station aspect of the TBD. She won't enjoy unplugging and plugging in a lot of different connectors every time she leaves or comes back to her desk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
That is a good question. I am attracted to the docking station aspect of the TBD. She won't enjoy unplugging and plugging in a lot of different connectors every time she leaves or comes back to her desk.

That is the best feature of the TBD, but I highly doubt Apple will go down in size on the displays. A 24" TBD would be perfect, but these days bigger seems to win out. I see a larger one coming before a smaller one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

That is an attractive feature...but on the other hand...the 27" Apple display is $999 + tax (and the 27" is the only size Apple sells).

Compare this to many 24" displays that can be purchased for under $200. And really...the only cable that needs to be plugged in/unplugged when the laptop is used is the video cable.

What you could do...is buy a 24" external display for under $200...then buy a MacBook Pro "dock" (something like this for example for $69):

Henge Docks

This would probably meet all of you and your wife's needs:

- lower cost
- smaller size
- less cables to attach

The only problem with many docking stations is...they prevent use of the MacBook Pro's display (dual display mode). But if this is not a problem...then the dock listed above (or a similar one) + a less expensive smaller monitor...I think would be perfect for you.;)

- Nick

OP
rpg51
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
She has a MBA

not MBP. That doc for the MBA does not look to be nearly as functional.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
not MBP. That doc for the MBA does not look to be nearly as functional.

Ok...small mistake. I don't think that the main issue here is whether it's a MBA or a MBP!

I think that you may be missing my point. If cost of the Apple display ($999) and it's size (27") are issues...then a 24" display for under $200 + a dock of some sort could be a solution.

Heck...you really don't even need the dock...since when connecting & disconnecting the computer really only involves a single cable (the video cable).

Also...there are more docks out there than the one I linked...that was just an example.

Just trying to help. Good Luck.

- Nick

OP
rpg51
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I do get your point and it is a good one. It isn't so much the cost of the TBD, its the size. But I am beginning to think that my idea of eliminating her desktop computer is not such a good idea. Our habit is to use the desk top to run our household music system and other things that would be a pain if we tried to do it all from a laptop that is not always docked to the peripherals at her desk.

Thanks for the input. With out realizing it you helped me avoid an expensive mistake.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal man!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.