hello and itunes?

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum. Seems like a lot of helpful people here. I have a question about itunes.I have googled this, and searched the forums with minimal success.
problem: I am trying to set up my itunes so that I can share some music with my wife's ipod. currently i have one itunes account and I have a lot of music that she doesn't want on her ipod, but some that she does. All my music will not fit on her ipod anyway.
So, what i think I've learned and what I've tried is this: I opened itunes holding the option button and created a new library. I made a playlist in my library with all the music she wants. I tried exporting the playlist from my library to hers. it seems to be exporting as a txt file and its not actually moving any music to her library. How can I resolve this? Am I even on the right track?
I have a feeling this subject has been beat to death somewhere, but I can't seem to search it up...
Thank you
Woops, just realized i should have posted in applications forum, my apologies and feel free to move it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums Hoopa70
Open up her library in iTunes then you should go to Home > Music > iTunes > iTunes Music, drag the music from your library in this folder that she wants to her library in the iTunes window

- Simon

OP
H
Reaction score
Welcome to Mac-Forums Hoopa70
Open up her library in iTunes then you should go to Home > Music > iTunes > iTunes Music, drag the music from your library in this folder that she wants to her library in the iTunes window

- Simon
Thank you Simon, I have already made a playlist in my library that has all the music she wants. Is there anyway to import that so as to avoid having to go back and re-select every song she wants? just curious because it's several gb worth of songs.. Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Can you clarify what is going on?

Are you using your computer to sync her ipod? If you are - all you need is a playlist with all the songs that she likes - and just choose to sync that playlist. (It can be multiple playlists) I do this for my wife's ipod, ipod touch, ipad and shuffle. They all have to sync to my Windows computer but I only sync the music and movies she likes from her playlists.

If you want to put the music on a different computer and have the ipod sync from that computer - then there is home sharing. It works pretty well but there is some setup. It also only syncs purchases from the itunes store automatically. That is OK though because there is a button you can push that says sync changes.

I am confused why you have to re-select every song.

OP
H
Reaction score
Can you clarify what is going on?

Are you using your computer to sync her ipod? If you are - all you need is a playlist with all the songs that she likes - and just choose to sync that playlist. (It can be multiple playlists) I do this for my wife's ipod, ipod touch, ipad and shuffle. They all have to sync to my Windows computer but I only sync the music and movies she likes from her playlists.

If you want to put the music on a different computer and have the ipod sync from that computer - then there is home sharing. It works pretty well but there is some setup. It also only syncs purchases from the itunes store automatically. That is OK though because there is a button you can push that says sync changes.

I am confused why you have to re-select every song.
Yes we do use the same computer. Basically I am trying to set her own library up with the music from my library that she likes. From there, she can continue to add music she buys (that I do not want) to her own library. I would rather not have to have us both select the music and playlists we want and deselect the music we dont want from the same library, (to me that seems cumbersome and time consuming) I'd much rather have 2 separate libraries with some songs in common if that makes sense.. I don't know, maybe I'm going about this the wrong way and should just have a separate account?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I guess I don't understand how managing playlists is any more or less cumbersome than managing 2 libraries - especially when you are talking about sharing some songs. Either way you are managing a list of songs - it's just with 2 libraries I think there is more overhead on keeping stuff in sync. Especially with one computer and one iTunes account. She can add music to her playlists - you can add music to your playlists - and only sync those playlists to each music player. Yes you can no longer use the main "music" list but syncing playlists is as easy as a checkbox on your ipod setup screen.

OP
H
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand how managing playlists is any more or less cumbersome than managing 2 libraries - especially when you are talking about sharing some songs. Either way you are managing a list of songs - it's just with 2 libraries I think there is more overhead on keeping stuff in sync. Especially with one computer and one iTunes account. She can add music to her playlists - you can add music to your playlists - and only sync those playlists to each music player. Yes you can no longer use the main "music" list but syncing playlists is as easy as a checkbox on your ipod setup screen.
Point taken, thank you Ivan. I guess I will go this route!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.