iPod Touch cant find home network

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just bought a new 32GB itouch with the latest software update 2.1.1. When I try Safari it can´t find my home network. I use a WPA2 secured network and even when I give all the details into my itouch it still cannot find it. When I´m out and about it recognises other networks just not my own one. I´ve an imac and a macbookpro working fine off the airport but its just the itouch which doesn´t want to play ball. I´ve scoured the web with suggestions ranging from turning off the security to reconfiguring the wireless network. Has anybody had similar experiences or have any tips I could possibly use to get the thing to connect to my home network as it should.

Reaction score
do you have SSID broadcast on? if the wireless network isnt showing up, just go to the wifi settings and enter the name of it and go from there. your wireless is working but it probably just isnt broadcasting the network name out.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The 2nd generation iPod Touch has some issues with WPA/WPA2 encryption. I struggled with it for days, trying to connect to my D-Link DIR-655 and it kept failing. After trying hundreds of times, it finally connected and has been OK ever since. Although occasionally, it doesn't connect up right away after it's been turned off.

See this thread on Apple's support forums.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, I´ve actually done a bit more research and I don´t seem to be the only person having this trouble. I tried giving my network name and password into my wifi settings but it still won´t connect. Many on the net are suggesting a bug in the 2.1.1 software version and some seem to have fixed it by exchanging the itouch for a new one from apple. I cannot find any feedback from apple on the topic but I personally think its a software thing. Most threads indicate the problem occurs mostly with new generation iphones and itouchs with 2.1.1 software. I got it to connect at home using WEP but with the WPA2 which i use it wont. I really dont want to leave my network unsecured.Has anybody gotten any feedback from Apple themselves ?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks Guys, I´ve actually done a bit more research and I don´t seem to be the only person having this trouble. I tried giving my network name and password into my wifi settings but it still won´t connect. Many on the net are suggesting a bug in the 2.1.1 software version and some seem to have fixed it by exchanging the itouch for a new one from apple. I cannot find any feedback from apple on the topic but I personally think its a software thing. Most threads indicate the problem occurs mostly with new generation iphones and itouchs with 2.1.1 software. I got it to connect at home using WEP but with the WPA2 which i use it wont. I really dont want to leave my network unsecured.Has anybody gotten any feedback from Apple themselves ?

It's a known issue. If you read through the thread I linked to above, you'll see where Apple has acknowledged it.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks CWA. Thats a good thread and certainly puts me on the path to sucess. Í actually called Apple and no-one admitted to a problem and suggested I change my setting to WPA rather than WPA2 as they said the itouch wasn´t compatible with WPA2. I´m not well versed enough to judge the truth of this statement but will try when I get home this evening. Thanks once again

OP
T
Reaction score
For anyone interested I have fixed my problem. I installed the latest version of the Airport software and restarted my wlan. After doing this my itouch recognised the network and i was able to work without any further problem. If this was the reason for the problem I´d hate to say but it worked for me

Reaction score
Imac internet share with ipod touch over wi fi without ethernet

i have a 20" IMAC and i am trying to connect the wireless (airport) to my ipod touch 4 like internet share.

i am not using ethernet internet, i am using wifi hotspot at my university accomadation.

i have a piece of software i have to use which is why i am in need of the internet share without the use of ethernet...

i want to connect it to my imac to share the internet through the airport with my imac...

i have tried searching but no help...everything says to use built in ethernet then use airport for other devices...

i want to use the built in airport internet and then use airport to also connect to other devices.

:Angry:

CAN ANYBODY HELP? THANK YOU

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.