Can I d/l Lion on a PPC mac then xfer to my MBP?

Reaction score
Just got MBP. My sole access to the Internet is through Wi-fi at the coffee shop.

I want to upgrade to Lion. Since that connection is slow, can I d/L the Lion on my friends G5, PPC tower and then burn it to disc to install onto the MBP?

I don't know if I have to do the upgrade whilst connected to the Internet.

TIA

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Just got MBP. My sole access to the Internet is through Wi-fi at the coffee shop.

I want to upgrade to Lion. Since that connection is slow, can I d/L the Lion on my friends G5, PPC tower and then burn it to disc to install onto the MBP?

I don't know if I have to do the upgrade whilst connected to the Internet.

TIA
You have to be running Snow Leopard to access the Mac APP Store to Download Lion.
Your other choice is to buy the USB version direct from Apple ($69).

OP
K
Reaction score
OK. Ya, his machine is PPC is v.10.4.11... that's a bust.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to find another Mac to do it on. I spent all my $$ on the MBP so I can't afford the Thumbdrive.

You have to be running Snow Leopard to access the Mac APP Store to Download Lion.
Your other choice is to buy the USB version direct from Apple ($69).

OP
K
Reaction score
So then, it is possible to download on one computer and move it to the MBP?

Just wanna be sure that no active Internet connection is need.

thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What my friend did was take his Macbook with Snow Leopard to a Starbucks and download lion and abort the install. He has Dial Up at home! :D

We then made a bootable Flash drive of Lion and installed from that at his house.

Can you take your new MBP to a friends house and hook up to their faster internet? That would save you trying to find something with Snow Leopard installed.

When Lion downloads it saves the install files to the Applications folder in SL. As long as you do not let the installer run, you can follow the many tutorials and make either a DVD or bootable flash drive and install on your MBP, but I feel the best way is take your machine to a faster internet somewhere.

OP
K
Reaction score
That's a cool method.

But, you are right, I am going to bug someone to let me plug into their home ISP connection. My buddy lives far away and we have massive scheduling conflicts (the plan was he was going to mail the DVD with Lion to me).

This is driving me nutso because I don't want to do too much on this laptop before I upgrade the OS just in case.

Thanks for the advice.

What my friend did was take his Macbook with Snow Leopard to a Starbucks and download lion and abort the install. He has Dial Up at home! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.