utorrent working at home, not on college wifi?

Reaction score
hello all!

So, I just bought a mac today and know nothing about them. With this in mind, i did hours of looking online to find an answer to this question and could find nothing, so here goes: I had a windows based laptop previously and used utorrent to get various torrents either at home, or on college campus. The point here is that i KNOW I can download torrents on campus just fine.

The problem is that on this mac utorrent works at the home network just fine, but does not work on the campus wifi. I get a "no incoming connections error". How do I get this thing working on campus? What am I missing? It must be something simple. Any ideas, any at all or some advice on using a mac for this would be awesome.

I'm using a macbook pro, osx 10.6.4 and utorrent version 1.0.2

-Kris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
are you using the same ports that you were on your windows torrent client?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
My guess would be that the college blocked some of the more common ports so that torrents can't download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
My guess would be that the college blocked some of the more common ports so that torrents can't download.

This.

And if they catch you downloading they will take away all your internet privileges. It's not worth torrenting on campus. It happened to me because my room mate turned off my IP blocking program so they saw my computer and shut if off then I had to meet with the dean of students.

In the end, don't do it. Go to safeway / starbucks if you're going to. Be smart about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.