Word 2011 - Show Gridlines

Reaction score
In previous versions of Word it would show gridlines when you would make a table. However in the 2011 version of word these gridlines disappear. It was useful to see the lines when you had tables but did not want them to appear on the printed document. Any help in showing these gridlines?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'm not exactly sure since I never build tables that way - but I can think of two potential solutions. First - you can see cell width and height just by looking at the ruler on the top and side if the table is selected. I'd imagine the easiest thing would be to keep the cell lines there until you're finished and then just click the table properties and get rid of all the lines with a single click.

I greatly prefer to paste in an Excel created table - and you can still see the cells but they don't print unless you've applied formatting.

Reaction score
Table gridlines Mac:Office Word 2011 - SOLVED

In previous versions of Word it would show gridlines when you would make a table. However in the 2011 version of word these gridlines disappear. It was useful to see the lines when you had tables but did not want them to appear on the printed document. Any help in showing these gridlines?

I see this is an old message, but as this page is the first that appeared in my search for the same problem, I thought I'd close the loop.

attachment.php

To show table gridlines (Mac Word 2011):

1. Open the Table Layout tab.
2. Click Gridlines.

It’s that easy!

See screenshot attached, and this link for more details:
How to Modify a Table in Word 2011 - For Dummies

table-gridlines.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.