PowerMac G5 for Gaming & video editing?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
sorry yeah, two cores. was tired yesterday. It will do far better than a PB.

Reaction score
to the OP: how much for the G5? from what ive been gathering across the web, is if youre paying more than maybe 300, you MIGHT be better off making a hack out of an old computer and put that 300+ into a jar and put in 100 every 2 weeks (or whenever you get paid) until you can afford a mac pro. for gaming, my G5 does decently, but in unreal tournament 2004, on the default settings, it lags. though i have a feeling thats because of the 6600LE. if you do get a G5, first things first, get a decent graphics card. oh, and btw, I cannot say that I reccomend you doing a hack, because of the ethical side of it, its against Apples EULA. ;-)

as much as I love this G5, i know theres certain things it cannot do, which is why im keeping my old hack (runs snow leopard beautifully) so if something coems up that needs intel, but I need it, i can run it. you have to keep in mind that spending more than 300+ on a 6 year old computer with little to no support in this brave new world of 2011, doesnt make sense, unless you have a specific need for powerpc hardware.

why havent I upgraded to a Mac Pro? because I got this G5 for 30 bucks, and ive been wanting one since theyve come out. better late than never i suppose....
but as everyone is saying, watch out for the liquid though, before you commit to buy, go over there and open her up. i'd take a flash light with you. look for any kinds of leaking from the power supply. (on the bottom of the case). look for rust puddles, both inside and outside the case.

good luck.

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
to the OP: how much for the G5? from what ive been gathering across the web, is if youre paying more than maybe 300, you MIGHT be better off making a hack out of an old computer and put that 300+ into a jar and put in 100 every 2 weeks (or whenever you get paid) until you can afford a mac pro. for gaming, my G5 does decently, but in unreal tournament 2004, on the default settings, it lags. though i have a feeling thats because of the 6600LE. if you do get a G5, first things first, get a decent graphics card. oh, and btw, I cannot say that I reccomend you doing a hack, because of the ethical side of it, its against Apples EULA. ;-)

as much as I love this G5, i know theres certain things it cannot do, which is why im keeping my old hack (runs snow leopard beautifully) so if something coems up that needs intel, but I need it, i can run it. you have to keep in mind that spending more than 300+ on a 6 year old computer with little to no support in this brave new world of 2011, doesnt make sense, unless you have a specific need for powerpc hardware.

why havent I upgraded to a Mac Pro? because I got this G5 for 30 bucks, and ive been wanting one since theyve come out. better late than never i suppose....
but as everyone is saying, watch out for the liquid though, before you commit to buy, go over there and open her up. i'd take a flash light with you. look for any kinds of leaking from the power supply. (on the bottom of the case). look for rust puddles, both inside and outside the case.

good luck.

Yeah, I've been looking on Craigslist and Ebay for weeks now and I haven't found much of anything in or even near my price range. It'd be nice if I could put $100 into a jar every 2 weeks, if so I'd have a Mac Pro by now, but I work at a little part time job making $20 a week. (I'm 14, ;))

If I could get a G5 for $30, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Then I'd put some extra cash in the upgrades and make it a decent computer. Right now I guess I just have to keep looking and saving, but I hope some sort of a deal comes along soon, this iBook is gonna make me tear my hair out. :(

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I got a G5 for £40 recently. it was broke. Not really much in terms of "upgrades" for them.

Hate to say it, but you should buy a PC.

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I got a G5 for £40 recently. it was broke. Not really much in terms of "upgrades" for them.

Hate to say it, but you should buy a PC.

That's been in the back of my mind for a while now. I've found plenty of PC's that will do what I want, and are within my budget. I would've bought one a while ago if I didn't despise the operating system so much. I've tried PC's, I actually owned one for a few years, and all of the OS's are horrible, slow, sluggish, crap. Even widows 7 which is supposedly "the best windows OS yet" is still just plain bad. I guess I could put Linux on it, but Linux isn't compatible with really...anything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.