Cannot delete desktop files

M

MrBoots

Having trouble sending a couple of partially downloaded .zip files from the desktop. Get this msg when I try:

[The item "x" is being used by another task right now. (Other tasks include moving, copying, or emptying the trash.)

Try again when the other task is complete.]

What to do?

Thanking you very much...

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I don't have an answer to your question, but please don't cross post. I have deleted your other post, as this is the right place for this particualr question.

Thanks

OP
R

regorve

re. Cannot delete desktop files

MrBoots said:
Having trouble sending a couple of partially downloaded .zip files from the desktop. Get this msg when I try:

[The item "x" is being used by another task right now. (Other tasks include moving, copying, or emptying the trash.)

Try again when the other task is complete.]

What to do?

Thanking you very much...

:)
I recently purchased a G4 1.25DP and had the same problem with a file on the desktop that I could not delete and when I tried got the same message. The only way I resolved the problem was by going ahead with my intended partitioning of my drive into OS10 and OS9 volumes. That of course solved the immediate problem. But, should it reoccur, I haven't got a clue about how to solve it. When you find out, let me know. I'll do the same.
regorve

OP
I

iguitari

I had the same problem

Hey there! I had the same problem, not being able to delete the files on my desktop. I searched and found this post on google, then read the statement about os x and os 9. I restarted the computer in OS 9, then opened users/home/desktop, and dragged the files to the trash and they deleted there. then just restarted the computer back in os x. that's probably what the statement above meant to do anyway, but it worked great. that's the only way i could figure out to delete them. not very efficent, but it works.

OP
J

jonnyturner

i read somewhere about typing a command into the terminal and draggin the files in there, it worked anyway but i cant remember how i did it, sorry, but im sure if u search google ull find it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
yes, there is a Unix command.

Open Terminal.app (/Applications/Utilities), then type: (hit return after each line)
cd Desktop
rm -rf filename.ext

replace filename.ext with the file and extension. you can make it easier by typing the first few letters of the file name, then hitting Tab. enter password if it asks for it

Reaction score
yes, there is a Unix command.

Open Terminal.app (/Applications/Utilities), then type: (hit return after each line)
cd Desktop
rm -rf filename.ext

replace filename.ext with the file and extension. you can make it easier by typing the first few letters of the file name, then hitting Tab. enter password if it asks for it

I had many files to delete from the desktop and I used this "rm" command and it worked great.

Just wanted to add that I was able to delete thousands of files with the same extension all at once by using the asterix. E.g.:

rm *.wav

That would get rid of all files with the extension .wav regardless of their filename :)

Reaction score
its easy just do this!

all ya do is drag and hold ya file u want off desktop to the finder shortcut and wait it should open up finder and ya drop it in there... where ya want to put it is not choice... i guess ya just drag it to where ya want it...

Reaction score
garage band

i had a problem, i had created a garage band file on my desktop and had later deleted the actual song. it left a "My Song.band" file on my desktop and it says that this cant be deleted
help?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.