iPhone 4S seems to use the Internet for Everything

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
I am going to get my iPhone 4S by the end of the month (I hope), i went to my my Apple store to have an hour long "workshop" yesterday and i was amazed at all the things it can do. Of course being in the Store the "Apple Guy" was connected to the Net all the time, but out on the streets (so to speak) with the internet on all the while, surely it will take it toll on the poor old battery and of course my Data Quota is going to take a hammering, plus of course it looks as if it has to be left on all night when one is asleep, so the alarm clock will work to wake me up LOL.

So do we have anywhere, an estimate on battery life and compulsory data usage.

how much is a replacement battery, on my current phone an Android HTC Desire i am able to slip in a spare fully charged battery when needed, but on an iPhone that cannot be done LOL.

The battery life on my HTC is really crap, the internet speed via Tescos is crap and i don't want an Android phone anymore !. But i would like some observations on my queries above, thanks.

PS. At the workshop, i compared my HTC Desire face on with the new iPhone and they are virtually both exactly the same size including the screen size.

tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
When you get your iPhone you need to enter Settings/General/Network and turn off cellular data, this will restrict all data to Wi-Fi and stop your finances going into melt-down.
With regards to your battery life the 4S has enhanced battery life and there also some good apps and tips about in the App store to increase it's life. The phone has some excellent info on current usage etc so I wouldn't worry.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
When you get your iPhone you need to enter Settings/General/Network and turn off cellular data, this will restrict all data to Wi-Fi and stop your finances going into melt-down.
With regards to your battery life the 4S has enhanced battery life and there also some good apps and tips about in the App store to increase it's life. The phone has some excellent info on current usage etc so I wouldn't worry.

Wowee thanks for that info "pendlewitch" extremely helpful, and reassuring.

tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Battery and the connector between the motherboard has changed, iPhone 4S battery can not be mounted on the iPhone 4.
1.gif

Crikey julianne012....that's some tech info.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you're concerned about data usage I'd suggest (assuming your in the UK with your reference to Tesco) going on contract with Three £35pm gets you unlimited data.

Alternatively you could buy the phone sim free and go with giff-gaff(uses the O2 network) - £10 gets you a ton of minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data.

Over 24 months the costs are roughly the same.

Goes without saying you need to check the coverage in your area etc etc.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
If you're concerned about data usage I'd suggest (assuming your in the UK with your reference to Tesco) going on contract with Three £35pm gets you unlimited data.

Alternatively you could buy the phone sim free and go with giff-gaff(uses the O2 network) - £10 gets you a ton of minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data.

Over 24 months the costs are roughly the same.

Goes without saying you need to check the coverage in your area etc etc.

Cheers buddy thanks for that, I am as it happens on £10 a month at Tesco myself and it supposedly also has unlimited data (they don't market my monthly contract anymore LOL, i am going to cut the Sim Card down and go for it, i didn't know about "giff gaff" though) i haven't been anywhere near that up to now as the Internet speed is crap on my HTC. Although it might be Tesco ?.

I was more concerned/curious about the battery life, thanks.

tim

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S

I have now loaded up some of those APPS you mentioned buddy in PREPARATION for my new toy, still don't when it is coming DAM IT .

tim

C

chas_m

Just in case nobody else covers it, OF COURSE you don't have to keep your iPhone on to make the alarm clock (et al) work, that's just silly. You couldn't anyway -- it automatically goes to sleep after a minute or so, just as it should. And the alarm will wake it (and you) up.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Just in case nobody else covers it, OF COURSE you don't have to keep your iPhone on to make the alarm clock (et al) work, that's just silly. You couldn't anyway -- it automatically goes to sleep after a minute or so, just as it should. And the alarm will wake it (and you) up.

Yeah i only made that mistake once LOL.

because the battery life on my HTC was so crap i always turned it OFF at night and then wondered in the morning, why didn't the alarm go off ????

As you say that is just silly LOL.

I suppose it still uses battery when does go to sleep ?, of course it does.

Thanks chas_m for your valuable and knowledgeable input, grovel grovel.

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
With regards to data usage while at your home, keep in mind that it will switch over to WiFi when it finds a network it recognizes, So, if you have a wireless network at your house, it won't use any data at all while at home. (There's no need to turn it off at night.)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
i have now got a giff gaff sim card and it is really good value for money, and they have a very active forum as well

tim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.