Mac mini

Reaction score
Hi, Need some help.
My lcd monitor has a dvi socket and a vga socket. I have it hooked up to vga on this computer because it didn't have a dvi on this computer.
I am getting a mini mailed to me - 2011. I would have to buy a cable for the dvi hook up.
Now this is where I fail completely, so if you answer please use small words and diagrams.
What do i need to hook up the mini to my lcd? I only have a vga cable right this second , but will buy anything needed.
Sorry next question : can I get a 8gb stick and run it with a 2 gb stick? I think I read that this was fine, but I can't pull it up any more. thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi, Need some help.
My lcd monitor has a dvi socket and a vga socket. I have it hooked up to vga on this computer because it didn't have a dvi on this computer.
I am getting a mini mailed to me - 2011. I would have to buy a cable for the dvi hook up.
Now this is where I fail completely, so if you answer please use small words and diagrams.
What do i need to hook up the mini to my lcd? I only have a vga cable right this second , but will buy anything needed.
Sorry next question : can I get a 8gb stick and run it with a 2 gb stick? I think I read that this was fine, but I can't pull it up any more. thanks

If you read the "In the Box" section details closely...you'll see that 2011 Mac-mini's come with an HDMI to DVI adapter:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_mini/select

But to get things working...you will need to purchase a DVI-DVI video cable.

As far as the ram. The 2011 Mac-Mini has two ram slots. If you're getting 2gig of ram with it...this will be 2 x 1gig sticks. So if you purchased an 8gig stick of ram...you would have 8 + 1 = 9gig of ram.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks Nick Read in the box, but I am visual, so it does not compute. I do not have a computer store here in town I can't be hands on.
The one I am getting ( so very excited) has 4 gbs. Since I am buying stuff , I thought to save shipping. I also have seen lots of posts saying 16 gbs is possible. I just can't quite justify the extra $80 right now. But I can go $10 higher for the 8 gbs , and buy the other 8 gbs later. I just couldn't get back to the post where I saw why it was ok to run mismatched ram on Mac It wouldn't work well on pc. Thanks again

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks Nick Read in the box, but I am visual, so it does not compute. I do not have a computer store here in town I can't be hands on.

HELLO...go to the link that I provided. There's a section called "In the Box" (scroll down the page)...that lists what's included "In the Box" when you purchase a Mac-Mini. You don't need to have a local Apple Store to get your hands on anything...you just have to be able to go to the website I linked...and READ!!!;)

The one I am getting ( so very excited) has 4 gbs. Since I am buying stuff , I thought to save shipping. I also have seen lots of posts saying 16 gbs is possible.

Yes...16gigs is possible.

I just can't quite justify the extra $80 right now. But I can go $10 higher for the 8 gbs , and buy the other 8 gbs later.

I'm not exactly sure which Mac-Mini model you're talking about. But if you're talking about the 8 gig upgrade directly from Apple...it's not going to come with an 8gig stick of ram in it...it's going to come with 2 x 4gig. And I don't know how you're figuring $10 more for then 8 gig upgrade...since the Apple Store charges $200.

Any by the way...the same 8 gig (2 x 4gig) upgrade purchased somewhere else would only cost $56.99 (compared to $200 from Apple):

OWC 1333DDR3S08S 8.0GB (2x4.0GB Kit) PC3-10600 DDR3... in stock at OWC

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.