Engraving?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz 4GB 500GB HDD i3 Processor ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB / iPhone 3GS 8GB
Hi Guys,

I am wondering when I get my iPad I do not know wether I would loose to much money on re-sale if I engraved it!
I would get Apple's recommendation:

It really is the gift
That keeps on giving.

What do you think? I would also like some good ideas for a engraving!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi Guys,

I am wondering when I get my iPad I do not know wether I would loose to much money on re-sale if I engraved it!

Of course you will lose money on resale...or you may lose sales altogether If you were buying someones used iPad...would you want one to buy one that has the engraving:

- "Too my favorite Snooki"
- "I love you Mike."
- "To my Soulmate Fred"
- "You have a great butt!"
- etc. etc.

;);)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz 4GB 500GB HDD i3 Processor ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB / iPhone 3GS 8GB
Ok, So I am guessing I should not get it done? LOL!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Of course you will lose money on resale...or you may lose sales altogether If you were buying someones used iPad...would you want one to buy one that has the engraving:

;);)

- Nick

I Most certainly would ;) . . . . . . . . . At the right price.
Have been told my butt is priceless though, so there could be a slight problem there Moohaha

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're buying it worried already about resale, I'd strongly suggest you not do it.

I'm always concerned (at least a little bit) about resale. How many of us actually use & keep a computer until it's ready for the "junk heap"? Sure some folks do...but many many don't.

The better you take care of something while you own it...the more it will be worth when you sell it...and want to use that money from the sale to help finance the next computer or electronic purchase.

The same applies to automobiles, homes, furniture, etc.:)

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Why do people get things engraved? To personalize it...give it sentimental value... yeah I don't think people want something that has a personalized message on it.

Have been told my butt is priceless though, so there could be a slight problem there Moohaha

Also depends on the message and if people can live with it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I agree...and I would feel the same way!:) For the right price...I would also buy an iPad that was engraved.

The deal is...folks that get the engraving don't realize how much the engraving (especially if it's a real personal or "funky" engraving)...detracts from the value of the item...as compared to the exact same item (in the same exact condition) is without any engraving.

The free engraving makes a lot of sense when purchasing the item when it's new (especially if it's a gift)...but when it comes to selling the engraved iPad (for example when someone wants to sell their iPad to buy an iPad 2.0)...it just reduces it's value. Or reduces the number of potential people that might be interested in purchasing it.

If someone looking for a used iPad had the choice between a "non-engraved" iPad...and an engraved iPad with something like "I Love You Snookie!" engraved on it..which one would most folks want to buy?

Of course...the price would be a big determining factor...but I van almost guarantee...the "I Love You Snookie!" iPad would sell for less!;)

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you were buying someones used iPad...would you want one to buy one that has the engraving:

Maybe I would. It might be a good ego booster ;).

The deal is...folks that get the engraving don't realize how much the engraving (especially if it's a real personal or "funky" engraving)...detracts from the value of the item...as compared to the exact same item (in the same exact condition) is without any engraving.
This is the number one reason that sports fans generally, if intent on selling goods, will get them autographed with no personal messages. If you're really looking to sell the iPad down the road, don't engrave it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An additional thought is...things like:

- wedding bands
- jewelry
- trophies won from some sort of competition
- etc.

Are all great candidates for engraving. They are usually things that folks hang onto for life...and many times the owner never contemplates selling.

But items like electronic devices...which depreciate very quickly, that become obsolete very quickly, and usually are sold many times in it's lifetime...just aren't good candidates for engraving.

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I agree...and I would feel the same way!:) For the right price...I would also buy an iPad that was engraved.

The free engraving makes a lot of sense when purchasing the item when it's new (especially if it's a gift)...but when it comes to selling the engraved iPad (for example when someone wants to sell their iPad to buy an iPad 2.0)...it just reduces it's value. Or reduces the number of potential people that might be interested in purchasing it.

If someone looking for a used iPad had the choice between a "non-engraved" iPad...and an engraved iPad with something like "I Love You Snookie!" engraved on it..which one would most folks want to buy?

Of course...the price would be a big determining factor...but I van almost guarantee...the "I Love You Snookie!" iPad would sell for less!;)

- Nick

I think I can live with "I Love You Snookie!" I would pretend not to like and demand that you lower the price though. :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe I would. It might be a good ego booster ;).

Yes...the "You have a Great Butt" probably isn't the best example of a "bad engraving" that would be undesirable.;)

I'm sure that we all can come up with some engraved messages that would be undesirable! (FYI...this is not supposed to turn into a challenge to come up with the least desirable engraved message)!!!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I can live with "I Love You Snookie!" I would pretend not to like and demand that you lower the price though. :p

Hey...$50 bucks less is $50 bucks less!;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wont get it Guys now Thank for the advice!! I am only 13 so I cannot afford to loose large amounts of money!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm sure that we all can come up with some engraved messages that would be undesirable! (FYI...this is not supposed to turn into a challenge to come up with the least desirable engraved message)!!!;)
Challenge accepted! :p

To the OP: Like I mentioned earlier, if you are intent on selling it at some point in the future, you are making the right decision regarding the engraving. You'd rarely see the engraving and considering that you're buying it for yourself, it's not as if it will be sentimental in nature.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will end up selling probably by christmas to get the iPad 2 that is rumoured to arrive in July :):) Along with the iPhone 5

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Guys,

What do you think? I would also like some good ideas for a engraving!

So was your original question (Post#1)...regarding what you just posted in post #16...about getting an iPad 2?

Are you talking "Christmas 2011"? If so, you certainly have plenty of time to think about it!;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

NO I am getting a iPad in May for my B-Day! But if the new iPad 2 has many new features for e.g Facetime higher memory for cheaper price I will then upgrade!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

NO I am getting a iPad in May for my B-Day! But if the new iPad 2 has many new features for e.g Facetime higher memory for cheaper price I will then upgrade!

From the rumors I see flying around (which who knows if they are true)...we may have iPad 2 before May...not July as you mentioned. The rumors are that Apple may be announcing iPad 2 by March...shipping by April.

But again...this is all rumor...so don't get too excited until it actually happens!;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

If that happens it would be great, But either way I will be very happy to get one!
The only thing I would hope for in the new iPad is a Facetime camera! And possibly a cheaper price, Which I have noticed always seems to happen with Apple products!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.