Connecting your Mac to your TV

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1st off - did you plug it into HDMI # 1, 2 or 3 and did you then choose the same HDMI input on the TV remote?

Did you experiment with different resolutions in the Displays preference pane on your Mac that are being output to the TV? Choose 1080p if that is an option there.

Your owners manual.

I believe the audio cables need to go into the lower audio connections shown as 'C' on page 10.

Once you have the pic - you will also need to head into the HDMI # Whichever one you're using - Audio settings and change it from digital to analog input to get any sound. See pg 46.

Work through all troubleshooting steps in Post # 2.

Reaction score
Thanks bobtomay for the reply. I did everything you said but still had the same result. I even tried each HDMI slot and switched the proper TV input but somehow the TV doesnt detect my imac. Followed all the troubleshooting in Post#2 and still didn't work. Do you think it is a good idea to get a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter and switch to HDMI cable? or should i just stick with the DVI to HDMI and get a new cable instead? Honestly, I am not too thrilled about getting new cable because that means I'll be spending money. But I'm kinda desperate.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What resolutions have you tried?

Have you tried both mirrored and extended desktop mode?

It could be that one or the other of what you have is bad. I'd suggest returning what you already bought and get the mini-DVI to HDMI adapter - it's only $5 at monoprice and an HDMI cable. Just tell them one of the ones you have is not working and you want to try a different adapter /cable combo.

There are some TVs that just are not going to accept some computer inputs - although, this is not a common report with Pannys.

Reaction score
Reaction score
i apologize if this isn't done properly first time poster.

i have a late 2008 13inch macbook 2.0GHz running lion, I would love to connect it up to
my vierwsonic 34 inch 1080p LED monitor (model VX2453MH-LED) and Sony STRDH520 7.1 channel 3D AV receiver.

If it is possible what other hardware (wire, converters etc) would i need to make the it work?

voz

Reaction score
I have tried, read the first couple of pages on this thread..

I have a 07 MBP
2.2 ghz intel duo
still running 10.4

TV- Vizio E550VA
maunal - http://www.vizio.com/documents/downloads/hdtv/E371VA/737120HZ E SERIES.pdf

connections - 4 hdmi, component, rgb pc, optical.
I have a mini displayport to hdmi female

I understand I wont get audio, but I can't even get picture..
Thanks in advance for the help..
YES I'm one of those who wants to use HDMI..

Reaction score
Need Assistance

Is it even possible to hook my laptop up to my TV? I'd love to watch my HBO GO account on my tv with the sound coming out of my Denon Receiver. here's what I'm working with:

Model Name: MacBook (13" late 2007)
Model Identifier: MacBook3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Version OSX 10.5.8

TV Type: Samsung Series 5 (5003) (TVs | 40 inch 1080p 5003 series LED TV | Samsung UN40D5003BFXZA LED TV)
Sound: I would like the sound to come out of my Denon AVR-900 receiver.

Thanks for any help ahead of time!

Reaction score
Can anyone help setting up my macbook pro to my tv?

Hi guys, first time posting here and im in need of some technical advice on setting up my macbook pro to my tv. Heres all the details of my electronics...

1.Computer - Macbook Pro 15inch - OSX version 10.5.8 (maybe 2009 model, not sure)

2. Television - Technika 32-270 32 inch Widescreen HD ready LCD TV with Freeview - Tesco.Direct all of the specific details of this tv are under the features tab.

3. Sound - was hoping the sound would just come from the t.v.

I did buy a cable without doing much research and it doesnt seem to work.
Heres the link to the ebay page i purchased it from - Mini Display Port to HDMI HD TV Cable Lead Adapter DP For Apple Mac MacBook AC11 | eBay

I dont have a system arrangements tab in the system preferences section and when ive clicked on detect displays nothing happens.

I was hoping to use the hdmi port into the tv, no idea what the best output from my macbook is though!

Any help would be greatly appreciated as ive been searching the web for days trying to find out how to do this!

Many thanks

Benn

Reaction score
MBP and LG tv (LG 32LW4500 problems)

I have a macbook pro at the beginning of 2011 13 "and I want to connect it to an LG tv model LG 32LW4500.. My problem is that audio and video signals only work for 2.3, 4 .. seconds. Then the signal is cut , a black screen, sometimes a bit of fog on the screen i then get the audio and video signals. This problem occurs continuously. I use the Belkin Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. I've tried all the tv's HDMI input, I have modified the resolutions. I have used the mirror and extended formats in the MBP. I have tried this TV with another windows laptop and with same adapter and works perfectly.
Could you please help me to resolve the problem.
Thank you very much.

Reaction score
I finally solved the problem by changing the hdmi cable. The new cable cheaper than the previous works so far. I hope that the solution is final and no further tests are necessary. Curiously, the first cable works with any other device except the MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro osx lion 10.7 2.3ghz intel core i5 4gb memory intel hd graphics 3000 384 mb
I just purchased the one from Monoprice. I was a bit skeptical at first since it was so cheap but everything works just fine. I recommend it to anybody seeking to connect their macbookpro to their external display. Thanks to bobtomay for this awesome thread, you made everything so easy with this.

Reaction score
Samsung LN-S3241D with 2011 MBA

Hello bobtomay,

I'm trying to get my brand new MBAir (mid 2011 model), which comes with the thunderbolt to VGA connector, to connect to my Samsung LN-S3241D 32" TV.

I bought a 9ft combined VGA+stereo jack cable to connect them. If I use this cable the TV doesn't detect the computer so it doesn't let me select the VGA source.

I have another VGA cable which is from a standard computer monitor that I have been using for a while. When I use this cable everything works beautifully. The computer correctly identifies the TV with proper settings and the TV recognizes the computer.

After using this standard VGA cable (4-5ft long) to get the TV on the VGA source, I swap it with the other VGA cable(9ft long), and I do see the picture on the TV from the computer, but the computer does not correctly detect the TV (and the TV returns to not detecting the computer). The computer gives me some generic resolutions to choose from, but not the custom resolution (1360 x 768 @ 60 Hz) given in the TV manual.

I was wondering if you knew of some cable length limit? Perhaps the cable is too long for these EDID signals? Otherwise, I guess the EDID lines of the VGA cable are damaged somehow...

Thanks!

Reaction score
Connecting MBP to LCD TV

HI

I think I need an HDMI cable for my TV - MBP connection but I am not sure and the sales assistants were clearly clueless and making it up!

My specs...

2009 MacBookPro 2.8 GHz intel core 2 duo

Hannspree ST321MBB 32” LCD TV, owners manual link follows....

http://www.hannspree.com/EU/EN/Images/Downloads/XV-S/User Manual/ST321/ST321MBB_UM_EN.pdf

I want the sound to come from the TV for now.

What exactly do I need for this?

Reaction score
iMac (Mini DVI) to Panasonic (HDMI)

I'm new to this forum and hope I'm able to frequently contribute some intelligent input. I've browsed many other forums for an answer to my situation, but I was most impressed with the knowledge and understanding of bobtomay at the beginning of this thread. Just the fact that he knows there is a difference between Mini DVI and Mini DisplayPort puts him ahead of many advice givers.

I hope I can get a solution here. My Mac detects the TV display, but the TV shows "no signal".

2009 iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard without the snow) with the Mini DVI port.

Panasonic TC-P42ST30 with three female HDMI input ports. A Manual is at http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TCP42ST30.PDF

On the TV, I have selected "HDMI #1" Between the devices, I have connected the Mini DVI to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable with male ends, making sure I plugged it into the same HDMI that I selected on the TV. I have tried plugging and unplugging in different orders, restarting TV and Mac in reverse orders, checking and unchecking the mirroring box, trying different resolution combinations, and unchecking the overscan box, all to no avail.

I tried two different brands of Mini DVI to HDMI adapters: "Newer Technology" and "Atlona". I'm thinking maybe my HDMI cable is too fancy: it's the latest high speed version with ethernet capability, here's the link: MISC CBLHDMI1406 HDMI - HDMI 2 Meter (6 Foot) Video... in stock at OWC

Could it perhaps be some setting on the TV? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Tv is a 32" HCT Model #: HLD-320GF

MacBook Pro Early 2011 13.3" i7 Model #: A1278

I have the HDMI & a Belkin Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter also and have connected everything and disconnected and reconnected.

My tv only shows the original Apple Wallpaper and Dock (doesnt show top tab bar Finder, File, Edit etc etc.). but no programs pop up when clicked on.

PLEASE HELP!!!

THANKS!

Reaction score
Would Like to Run Sound Through Denon Receiver

Hello,

I have a 2007(purchased in) MacBook Pro: 3.1 2.2 Ghz running Snow Leopard.
Successful video and audio through the Samsung Television UN46B8500. I would like to run the Audio through my Denon AVR 3803. I have the optical cable (toslink) that fits in the headphone jack on the MBP and the other end has many choices (though so far not functional for my purposes) on the Denon.

What do I need or need to do next?

Thank you so very much in advance for your help.

Chewey

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this question has been answered already. I did a forum search, but nothing turned up.

I have an LG LED tv, hooked up to my mac mini via HDMI cable. Everything is peachy keen, I can stream video via Netflix, Hulu, etc., and all is fine.

But when I play music through iTunes, after a certain amount of "inactive" time (in which I'm not on the computer doing things) the monitor will go into a "no signal" sleep mode. The problem with this is it cuts the music off. If I go to the keyboard & tap a key, it comes back and the music continues.

I can NOT find a way to shut off this sleep mode in either system preferences OR in the monitor settings. It doesn't do it during video streaming, only with music.

fix? Please?!? :-z

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Just assuming that all the ports on a desktop type of Mac are available on a Mac laptop, are there any other major differences between hooking up either a laptop or a desktop to a TV?
I'm only asking because I just used a double ended HDMI cable, One end went into the Mac Mini. One end went into a 52" Plasma TV and it just worked. All I had to do is fiddle with the TV remote's "Input" button.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.