Unable to Select Views in Finder

Reaction score
I am on new Mac OS 10.6.1 and am unable to select View options in Finder. I can only select Arrange By. Options ...as Icons, List, Columns, Coverflow are all grayed out as is rest of menu except Show View Options. I have a ton of desktop items that I am only able to show in thumbnail view. Pls advise. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Are they greyed out with the finder window open? These options are for the finder window.
Items on desktop are meant to be thumbnail view, if you are referring to folders, apps, etc..
Otherwise, maybe I'm unsure as to what you mean.
If this doesn't clear it up, and if I have misunderstood you, I apologise, and please clarify.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If you go into finder and press cmd~j will bring up a window where you can change ......
a) icon size
b) grid spacing
c) text size
d) label position
e) icon info and icon preview
f) how to arrange them, by date modified, date created and name
g) and you can even change the window colour background or put a picture in it.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I am on new Mac OS 10.6.1 and am unable to select View options in Finder. I can only select Arrange By. Options ...as Icons, List, Columns, Coverflow are all grayed out as is rest of menu except Show View Options. I have a ton of desktop items that I am only able to show in thumbnail view.

That's just the way it is. What you are seeing is normal. The grayed-out items are available for Finder Windows, but not for the Desktop. To see the difference, do this:

Click on your Desktop and choose Show View Options.
Open any folder and choose Show View Options.
Now click back and forth to the Desktop and the open folder window.
You'll see a difference at the top and at the bottom of Show View Options.

(The final item listed in the post above is only for finder windows.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.