Mouse & Keyboard Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 1.33ghz 768ram, iMac G4 1.0ghz 1gb 80gb 10.4.11, iMac G3 450mhz 256 20gb 10.4.11 9.2.2
Ok, I'm using an imac g4 and the original pro keyboard and mouse that came with it. My mouse is starting to act funny for the first time ever. Every few seconds, the pointer arrow will just stop moving. And after I move the mouse around for a couple seconds, it jumps to some odd far off corner of the screen. And there have been a couple times it would just not work unless I unplugged for a couple seconds. And the worse part is that last night, when it started doing this, my keyboard locked up on me too and I had to manually restart my computer to get anything to work. I don't think there's anything wrong with the connection because the red light on the bottom of the mouse stays on when it does this. Is there a simple answer to this? Because i'm thinking (and dreading) that it's some kind of software problem. I'm just so frustrated. I love my imac and it's never given me any problems. I don't know why it would start now. It's happening more frequently everyday. Almost to the point where I don't want to use my computer. This sucks because I love this computer and I don't have enough money for a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Can you borrow a keyboard and mouse from a friend? That might show whether or not your peripherals are faulty. If they are, then replacement is your best option.

Noting your financial situation, I would seriously recommend that you buy generic keyboard and mouse, even second-hand, because they're much cheaper than Apple stuff and they work just fine with OS X. For example, I'm using a Chicony Excel USB keyboard that cost me US$7.50 new, and a generic no-name optical USB mouse that cost US$15. They're both more than two years old now, never a problem.

OP
macdreamer08
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 1.33ghz 768ram, iMac G4 1.0ghz 1gb 80gb 10.4.11, iMac G3 450mhz 256 20gb 10.4.11 9.2.2
Well, I tried using the same mouse on another computer and it works fine. No problems at all. The worst part is it's a windows computer. Argh! What is going on with my imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Well, I tried using the same mouse on another computer and it works fine. No problems at all. What is going on with my imac?

Go to SysProfiler > USB and see if your keyboard and mouse are listed there. That may tell you if there's a USB port problem.

Next - do you have the original disks that came with your iMac? Restore or full install. If so, boot your iMac from Disk 1 (hold down C key at startup) and run a hardware check (verify disk), and repair if necessary.

If you don't have the CDs, then use Disk Utility within the OS to Verify Disk, Repair Permissions, Disk First Aid (if necessary).

We'll get to the bottom of this eventually.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Might want to check for dust or dust fibers building up in the optical part of the mouse.

OP
macdreamer08
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh, i forgot to mention. sometimes the pointer is over a link when my mouse stops moving. i tried clicking the link but the computer wont respond to the click either. i read up a little bit on it. i had limewire and found out that limewire has spyware. found out that could have a little to do with it so i completely removed limewire. the problem is mostly gone now but it still happens from time to time. I'm baffled.

Reaction score
The mouse...****ed mouse

Yes well....I saved up and eventually bought my first Apple Mac a few weeks back. Brilliant, wonderful, fantastic EXCEPT FOR THE ****ED MOUSE! :Angry: :Angry: :Angry:

Jumping all over the place, freezing etc etc.:Angry: :Angry: :Angry: What is Apple doing producing a product this poor. Apple Mac - synonymous with build quality haven't exactly endeared a sense of security in me from the start. Had to change the mouse TWICE in the first 2 weeks.

In the end after the 4th mouse failed I have gone out and bought a Logitech Laser mouse and configured it to my liking... no more problems.

One thing in Apple's favour is that their customer service is excellent ... IT NEEDS TO BE!

Come on Apple get this sorted.

OP
macdreamer08
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok i checked for dust in the mouse. cleaned it out, and still the problem exists! Nobody else i know has a usb mouse so i can't use another one on this computer unless i buy one. And i don't want to waste any money until i know what is wrong for sure. I tried using my mouse on a pc and it worked just fine, which really urks me. This mouse is made for a mac and works better on a pc? why? I lost my tiger dvd so reinstalling the os is out of the question otherwise i would without even thinking twice. I tried repairing permissions and that didn't help.
What's really annoying is this problem makes photoshop basically unusable. Has anybody else had this problem? I can't afford a new computer right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
macdreamer08
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A similar thread on a different forum mentioned USB power failure, and no activity with mouse or keyboard. Resetting the PMU solved the problem.

Will it work for you? See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95037 and http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95035

Just reset the pmu with high hopes. The only thing that happened was that the clock got reset. Mouse started acting up as soon as os x loaded. I really don't want to have to endure this for the next few months until i can afford a new computer. I wonder if I would be able to take it to apple even though i don't have applecare?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nobody else i know has a usb mouse so i can't use another one on this computer unless i buy one.

Seriously, don't think of it as a waste of money, but as a means of getting around the problems you're having with your present setup. A Genius-brand (Taiwanese) optical USB wired mouse in this country costs equiv US$7.50; a wired Genius USB keyboard about twice that. Check sites like radioshack.com for prices.

So, let's say US$25 for the chance of operating success, and peace of mind? I'd say it's worth it, even if you never use the mouse and keyboard again once you've moved to another Mac.

OP
macdreamer08
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seriously, don't think of it as a waste of money, but as a means of getting around the problems you're having with your present setup. A Genius-brand (Taiwanese) optical USB wired mouse in this country costs equiv US$7.50; a wired Genius USB keyboard about twice that. Check sites like radioshack.com for prices.

So, let's say US$25 for the chance of operating success, and peace of mind? I'd say it's worth it, even if you never use the mouse and keyboard again once you've moved to another Mac.

Thanks! Just got up the courage. Got a wacom bamboo tablet with a wireless mouse. Completely solved my problem. Guess it was just the mouse. My computer is just fine and I'm happy now! Thanks for the suggestion. Now I can go back to being a happy Mac user!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.