Installing OS X with Linux

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently thought I'd try out Linux, so I wiped an old G4 Powerbook and installed Yellow Dog 6.1.

However, it immediately became apparent that I had over-reached, in terms of IT skills, and that it would take about as long for me to learn Linux as it would for a herring to learn Old Norse.

Now a friend needs the laptop, and I want to re-install Panther on it. But when I put the CD in and press C, the apple icon appears and then nothing happens. And I have absolutely no idea how to install it (or do anything at all) from within Yellow Dog: when I click on the 'Mac OS X Install Disc' icon I see a load of files but I don't know how to run them.

I don't care whether Yellow Dog is deleted or not, I just want to get OS X working again.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You'll need to boot off that disc. If holding the 'C' key doesn't work, have you tried holding down the Option key instead?

OP
N
Reaction score
That gets me to a screen with 2 icons - a disk and the OS X Install CD. When I click on the Install CD and press the arrow, first I get the Apple icon but then it turns into the circle with a diagonal line - which I take it means I have disk problems?

Thanks for your help cwa

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like it's having trouble reading the disc. I assume you've already tried to clean it? Is it scratched?

OP
N
Reaction score
Yeah I've tried that, it looks fine. But I guess it could be faulty, it's an old Panther one. Ah well, never mind.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Yeah I've tried that, it looks fine. But I guess it could be faulty, it's an old Panther one. Ah well, never mind.

I'm assuming that it is, but any chance is the Disk you are using not the one that originally came with your PowerBook?
If not, you will need to either find the original OS Disk or a retail disk for a compatible version (like Tiger OS X 10.4 for example).

OP
N
Reaction score
Oh really? That could well be it, I have no idea what the original version was for this laptop.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh really? That could well be it, I have no idea what the original version was for this laptop.

Yeah, the gray "system discs", are machine-specific. If you don't have the ones originally made for your machine, you'll need a "retail" disc. These can be hard to come by on eBay - make sure you see a picture before you buy anything.

Tiger (10.4) would probably be the best bet for that machine, assuming you have 512MB of RAM or better. 10.5 may work as well, but you'll find that it's in hot demand and can be pricey.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.