Best Antivirus App.

Reaction score
I know this isn't necessary on a Mac but I do a lot if file exchanging with Windows computers and don't want to pass on any virus.

I don't mind paying for the app but I don't want one which will take over my MBP. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hmmm without sounding HARSH but isnt it the recipients problem to make sure that they dont get anything nasty ??

Why, if need be spend money on something because someone else is either lazy or doesnt care to what they receive ??
I payed 'extra' for my Mac so i dont have to spend extra $ to ward off all those Nasties. I believe people at the other end should look after themselves. On that though i dont send to my knowledge anything that i sholudnt...
To go further *ANY* AV you have on your MBP *WILL* hog your system and slow it down, so there really isnt a answer for you :(

Have a read of The Official Mac Antivirus and Firewall FAQ, and even though it was written a while ago it still pertains to today.

Cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Same advice from me. People with Windows should have a proper Antivirus installed already which would protect them from anything you could send them.

I am against slowing down my Macs just to protect Windows. I am not for sending virus's all over the net but still if the system on the other end has good protection, they have nothing to worry about.

I have a mixed network here at the house. My Windows systems are all protected with AntiVir. I have often downloaded even some drivers and software on my Mac and just network copied it over to the Windows systems. I am amazed just how many times AntiVir starts beeping indicating it found a virus in the file I sent over. It's never missed finding anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Here's the name of the most effective and smartest anti-virus protection out there:

It's called Ricky Patel. :D

You are the frontline security force in charge of making sure that your computer isn't allowed to view/run any potentially hazardous wares, that which OS X hasn't already seen fit to dismiss.

First off, at the moment there are no known active viruses which can affect OS X. A trojan would be more likely (a virus is not a trojan) to attach its self, but the only way it is possible for that to happen, is for YOU to give it permission. What that means is that every .app and .dng file YOU decide to run, needs YOUR permission first.

A lot of people are absolutely careless about their computing habits. And this has been why it is so darned easy to infect a Windows machine. Windows users are usually always running as 'admin', which in effect gives them root permissions, and consequently, exploits a very serious security hole. With a "Nix" OS, the user may run as admin/root, but usually running as such will be for a very temporary amount of time, say.... about the time it takes to input your password and run a new app or installer, and that's it.

Therefore, if you trust the source of whom you're downloading something from, then you shouldn't have a problem. If you don't trust them, then you should demand that they check whatever they are sending with their own anti virus/trojan program FIRST.

While you can actually host a virus which was made for a Windows machine,(while remaining safe from it) it is important to know where you're getting the file from in the first place, and cut off the head at its source.

Doug

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Here's the name of the most effective and smartest anti-virus protection out there:

It's called Ricky Patel. :D

That may be the best answer I've seen to date.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That may be the best answer I've seen to date.

Agreed, just insert your name there. In my case dtravis7! :D

Very good answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As others say just don't bother as AV will bloat and slow your machine Ricky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I am amazed just how many times AntiVir starts beeping indicating it found a virus in the file I sent over. It's never missed finding anything.

If it did miss something, how would you know it did? ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.