battery help :D

Reaction score
hey all, if i wanted to replace my battery in my mbp, how much would it cost? or would it be free cause i have 3 years of apple care?

However because i have upgraded my ram in my laptop, will this void my warrenty?

i have my old ram still, so i could switch it if necessary.

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
hey all, if i wanted to replace my battery in my mbp, how much would it cost? or would it be free cause i have 3 years of apple care?

Apple charges $129+ for most battery replacements. But it depends on the model...and you didn't say what you have.;)

Applecare typically does not cover battery replacements...especially if the battery wears out due to normal use. According to the Applecare "rules"...battery's are only replaced if they have a manufacturing defect.

This doesn't mean that (in some cases) they won't replace the battery (if worn out)...you just have to contact Apple (go to Apple Store)...and see what happens.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
its only mid 2012 haha, but i can already see it dying, it used to last 8 hours browsing, and now barely even 5 :( i dont know what im doing wrong, any advice? :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also, if this helps, i have had it 8.3 months and it has 183 cycles :)

YES...all that info REALLY does help!!!:)

Total battery runtime is affected by many things (for example...watching lots of videos while on battery power is pretty demanding).

186 charge cycles is not that high. Your battery is supposed to be good for 1000 cycles. If you are only getting 5 hours of runtime on a single charge...you're either doing some pretty demanding things...or maybe there is something wrong with the battery (since it is only a mid-2012 model with 186 cycles).

Maybe you should take it to your nearest Apple Store...and have them check it out. That's why you paid for that Extended Warranty!:)

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Right, thats great, thanks :D also, i use my mac alot when the charger is still plugged in and on green, does that damage it in any way ?

Also, i think my apple store only SELLS apple products, i dont think they have people who know what they're talking about :(

OP
C
Reaction score
also this is my activity monitor, anything not normal here?
ji00tj.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right, thats great, thanks :D also, i use my mac alot when the charger is still plugged in and on green, does that damage it in any way ?

Not really...unless you're doing it 100% of the time. It's good for the battery toevery now & then to run off battery power (couple times/month at least).

Also, i think my apple store only SELLS apple products, i dont think they have people who know what they're talking about :(

I'm not sure what you mean.:Confused:

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C

chas_m

Nick, I think he means that his "apple store" is a reseller that doesn't do repairs, and not actually an "Apple Store" as in corporate-owned, gleaming-white, minty-fresh Apple Store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.