iMac on the way

Reaction score
First post, first Mac, first deployment. Name is in my tag, I am excited to finally make the switch from Windows and have fun with my refurbed 27" iMac. The catch is that I am actually getting it delivered here to Afghanistan:Evil: I hope to contribute to the forum and learn alot from everyone here, been reading for a while now though. I'll update my post till the end of the first full day with my mean machine;D Later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Hope you have a lot of fun with your new iMac, great news.

And keep safe out there and good luck

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Nice new toy, congrats. I'm envious, but don't really have a reason to get one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

It's Saturday...isn't that a good reason to get one? :D;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
You will love the 27" iMac. Mine just arrived Thursday. The display is amazing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Thanks for your service!

(Not to be confused with Services on your Mac.) ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

You call it a toy I call it a potential workhorse. :D
Either way congrats on the new Mac purchase.

OP
S
Reaction score
Update and Question

Well, it is a day or two out from being in my hands:D Here is my question:
I searched the forum using "dusty environment protect" and did not come up with anything but one hit about a screen protector. Does anyone in the forum have experience with using an iMac in the type of environment I am in? And what good tips would you give for maintenance of my machine, iMac specifically?
Little info, if you take a container of baby powder and dump it on the floor, That is what we have for sand here in Kandahar. My little metal box of a room has an A/C that is always on (Room mate works night, me day). Once the Mac is placed in my room, there is no chance of it moving anywhere until we go home.
Thanks for any input, later;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Yea, no matter how you cut it, the iMac isn't meant to be in that kind of environment. No computer except some of the toughbooks are made to be out in that sort of stuff. It's going to shorten the life of the hardware. I'm note sure where the fans are or how easy it is to take off the back plate, but i'd make sure to clean that thing out every week or two with a can of compressed air :p

Anyway, thanks for the work out there. Keep safe and come home soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook
smiley-hug1.gif
You're appreciated. Also, congrats on your new mac.

OP
S
Reaction score
You're welcome and it's my honor

Yea, no matter how you cut it, the iMac isn't meant to be in that kind of environment. No computer except some of the toughbooks are made to be out in that sort of stuff. It's going to shorten the life of the hardware. I'm note sure where the fans are or how easy it is to take off the back plate, but i'd make sure to clean that thing out every week or two with a can of compressed air :p

Anyway, thanks for the work out there. Keep safe and come home soon.

It sucks I know, but at least my iMac is covered by USAA for any type of damage. So really happy to have it be out here, nothing to do when it is downtime. Thanks for the good words:D

smiley-hug1.gif
You're appreciated. Also, congrats on your new mac.

And I really appreciate your support, we are out here doing our best everyday to finish whatever the heck they want and get home, so it feels good to hear from you guys:):)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Yea, any time, bud. I don't necessarily agree with the politics behind it all, but that doesn't mean that I think our boys and girls shouldn't be coming home ASAP healthy and well.

OP
S
Reaction score
Finally!

It has arrived! Set it up in my room, and it is working perfectly so far, I love it. Thanks to APO Box, they did a good job of getting it here. Started the iMac and went straight to work after setup, nice. But alas, it will take my connection 148 hours to download 10 updates:eek: Needless to say, I am working on those 1 by 1:D The screen just blows me away and the first thing I pulled from the net was Skype, that worked a helluva lot better, didn't even need my headset to talk with the family. So thats the end of this thread, and as play around and figure things out, you'll see me ask alot of questions. The first thing that got me was DMG file installation, but I looked that up and got some good utilities from the Mac Life disk that I have. See ya soon on the Q&A threads:Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It has arrived! .... the first thing I pulled from the net was Skype, that worked a helluva lot better, didn't even need my headset to talk with the family.

Cool. :) Fire away, I mean the questions... ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.