All of a sudden....!!

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

First time post and somewhat MAC newbie. Owned my MBP for about 8 months now. I feel pretty proficient..but compared to most of you on here...not so much! (Also have the iPhone 5 and the new iPad.)

10.8.2 is killing me! Freezing up and acting quite slow. Seeing a lot of complaints and not sure exactly how to pinpoint.

Point of note: because of my work, I need to have a specific, approved type of encryption. That encryption is SecureDoc/WinMagic. My MBP came with LION and I couldn't upgrade to ML because the encryption basically couldn't handle it. Finally, in September Win Magic updated and put out the new version so I could upgrade, which I did, and everything was fine. I thought this could be an issue but I called Win Magic and I do have the most current version of encryption to run 10.8.2.

Anyone have any thoughts? Could I/Should I go back to 10.8.1?? Can I even do that??

Thanks!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know anything about the encryption software, but my first question would be, did the freezing and slow downs begin immediately upon upgrading to 10.8.2 or some time afterward - or one that started and has gotten continuously worse?

Did you ask WinMagic if SecureDoc has been tested with 10.8.2 and/or have they any other reports of it causing issues with 10.8.2?

Having to run that encryption software though, it might be best to wait on any further OS updates until you get verification from them it's compatible.

While I'm guessing you've found the source of the problem already, some other items to look at - how much used vs free space on the drive - any other software installed immediately prior to the problem rearing it's head.

OP
R
Reaction score
I definitely have to be careful when upgrading the OS. And funny enough, when I hit the upgrade to 10.8.2...it didn't even occur to me to check the compatibility, which is something I always do. Luckily, I'm told it is ok. That being said, I can't say that I have actually found the source of the issue. It seems to have showed up right after the upgrade to .2 since it was working fine with .1. I Haven't downloaded anything else. As for space, I have 378.94 GB free of 500. And I am running 8GB of memory. I have been running windows 7 in Oracle Virtualbox since I bought the computer and never had a problem and it, too, is up to date. I ran CCCleaner to clean things up and ran Norton to check for viruses. It would be a huge hassle to go back to 10.8.1 because I would have to decrypt then re-encrypt all over again which is hours worth of work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You got it. (That was the only subjectI left in the quote.)

OP
R
Reaction score
Well...you guys are the experts. Out of curiosity...why the issue with Norton?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It's a resource hog. It doesn't do anything useful since there is no such thing as a virus for Mac OSX, and it's been known to spread corruption, like, um, a virus. And you paid for this. I can screw up my Mac for free. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.