cut and paste in iphoto

Reaction score
I am trying to sort 1100 pictures for a slide show. I have my pictures in an album. When I CUT several selected pictures, point to the desired destination, secondary click and get PASTE, click on PASTE, the pictures are inserted right at the end of the album, not in the place requested.

Is there a way around this? I would like to select where the pictures go, not dump them at the end and then have tio drag them back to the right destination.

C

chas_m

You are not assembling a slideshow correctly, which is why you are having problems.

1. Make an album (you've done this part). Arrange the photos in the order you want them in the album (ie, set sort to manual).
2. Create slideshow.

OP
John F
Reaction score
You are not assembling a slideshow correctly, which is why you are having problems.

1. Make an album (you've done this part). Arrange the photos in the order you want them in the album (ie, set sort to manual).
2. Create slideshow.

It is at the arranging part of the process that things do not seem to be working normally, and that is what my question concerned. I can select-drag-drop with no problem, however dragging ten or so pictures through eight hundred or so to a new place is a long and laborious process if you have to do it many times. Normally in a word processor, it is just a matter of CUTting the selection and PASTing it in a new location. In iPhoto, no matter where I PASTE the selection, it appears right at the end of the pictures. This is of course all done in manual sort mode.

Which part of the assembly did you think I was doing incorrectly? Your answer seems to be to a different question from the one I asked.

John F

C

chas_m

The part of the assembly I think you're doing incorrectly is trying to use cut and paste in the first place (a very "Windows" approach). The Mac is more oriented around drag and drop, particularly in iPhoto (since that's the only way the program knows where you want the photos to go). You can lasso or select a set of photos (hold the shift key down to select a contiguous set, hold the command key down to select non-contiguous photos) then grab one of the selected photos with the mouse and it will move all of them to the spot you indicate with your mouse. Existing photos will "move aside" to make room where you plan to "drop" the photos.

If you do this in the album BEFORE attempting to create a slideshow, they should appear in your desired order when you create the slideshow.

OP
John F
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes I feared that might be the answer. I am doing all those things, but it is a VERY slow process when large numbers of pictures are involved. I have been 100% Mac for at least ten years and it is rare to find a "Windows approach" that works better - that is why I had hoped there might be an equivalent way to do it with a Mac. I am doing all this on a Mac Air - nice but slower - which doesn't help, but the iMac at home is difficult to fit into carry-on luggage!

Reaction score
sorting photos in iphoto albums

Yes, it is difficult to sort photos in iPhoto because the photos don't move easily around. As you scroll, there is a delay and then you can't find the place to rearrange he photo.

However, I discovered by using the ZOOM button on the bottom left of the album of pictures, you can make the pictures really small. Then it is MUCH easier to sort and rearrange the photos because you don't have to scroll.

Hope this helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.