What does everyone use to defrag/check Hds?

Reaction score
I tried Norton system works and at least Norton is just as HORRIBLE on the mac side as they are on the PC side. Why that company is not in the ground is beyond me. Does anyone have any other ideas of software I can use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
They say you don't have to format them at all, but I have read that there are still fragmented files and that a defrag every once and a while will do some good. Even apple admits that it would be good for some people to format. You can use iDefrag or Cleaning Agent. They are both free from the Apple site.

I have iDefrag and I like it. I'm a sucker for colorful graphic displays.

M

MacHeadCase

Never, ever use any Norton software on a Mac.

In forums, I've seen too many Mac OS X systems made completely useless after people used Norton apps on their Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
The only experience of Norton apps on a mac I have had is trying to remove AntiVirus. The uninstaller said it was complete, but it still managed to pop up dialogs all over the desktop - search and destroy via SpotLight was the only way to remove it. Nasty.

As for defrag/disk check, I just use disk utility and let the filesystem sort its own defrag out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.