IOS 7 and iPad Mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbookpro, ipad, ipod, iphone (Verizon)
I hate it! Battery drains a lot faster even with shutting off everything not used. Also, the smart cover that worked beautifully before to put it to sleep and wake it up, no longer works at all. And you have to put in your passcode every time you use it. Pain in the butt.
I wish there was an option to go back. This is the worst update I've had since the start with the original iPad. I don't think Jobs would have let this out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The pass code is optional, you can remove it if it's annoying, however, it a good security measure. As far as the smart cover is concerned, mine works as it always has. And I haven't noticed any unusual battery drain when I used my iPad 3 on full cellular (LTE) the other day when I was away from WiFi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Ok, first off we really need to be done with the "Steve would have never let this happen" stuff! :Smirk:

You can fix the configuration issues easily in your settings. I have to say that there are no battery issues on any of my devices that are running iOS 7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
I upgraded my wife's Mini as soon as iOS 7 became available. She hammers on it pretty hard and has had NO battery issues. I find the battery life on my iPad 4 as good on iOS 7 as it was on iOS 6. While 7 does have some differences, there is no way I would consider moving back to iOS 6.

If you google it, there are guides to step you back to iOS 6 if you so desire. I have not tried any of them so your mileage may vary.

Bill

p.s. I forgot to mention, her smart cover works properly also.

C

chas_m

Smart cover works fine here, the battery usage is a little higher but not that much (turning off the parallax effect will help), as others have said the passcode is optional but you'd be a fool to turn that off -- iPad minis are VERY stealable and they walk off A LOT just like iPhones.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbookpro, ipad, ipod, iphone (Verizon)
John,
How do you configure in the settings? I can't find it anywhere.
I don't want or need the security of having to type in the code every time I use the iPad Mini. I read a lot and every time I set it down, I have to slide and retype. This amounts to dozens of times a day. And the smart cover does not work at all which makes it even more of a hassle. All the info I have found on reverting to IOS 6 is on the Beta 7 version.
I have an iPad 1 & 2, iPad Mini, iPhone, Macbook Pro and Macbook Air and love them all. I have loved most of the updates until now. I'm due for a new phone and I intended to get the iPad Mini 2 when it's out, but if this is what I'll be stuck with, I'll probably go to Android.
I don't think it's unreasonable to be able to revert to the last version if you don't like the update. It's seems to me that Apple usually makes it better and more refined, not change everything around like this.
Battery issues are definite with this iPad Mini. It does get a lot of use but I never had to recharge it more than overnight but I can't get through the day now. I didn't update on my other iPads or phone so I don't know if there is an issue with anything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Passcode:

Settings>General>Passcode Lock>Enter Passcode>Turn Passcode Off (This is at the top of the screen.

Smart Cover Screen Activation:

Settings>General>Lock / Unlock>Slide until switch is green

Reaction score
lock unlock

I no longer have the general, Lock/Unlock option anywhere on my ipad mini. Anyone else with the mini that has this same problem?
As a person reads these forums one thing becomes clear. It is not working for everyone with the close cover on/off. Just because yours works do not assume everyone is stupid and cannot figure it out. I just do not have that option anymore.

this rant not addressed to anyone or message in particular, not even this one, but to those of you it is addressed to, you know who you are.

Passcode:

Settings>General>Passcode Lock>Enter Passcode>Turn Passcode Off (This is at the top of the screen.

Smart Cover Screen Activation:

Settings>General>Lock / Unlock>Slide until switch is green

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I no longer have the general, Lock/Unlock option anywhere on my ipad mini. Anyone else with the mini that has this same problem?
As a person reads these forums one thing becomes clear. It is not working for everyone with the close cover on/off. Just because yours works do not assume everyone is stupid and cannot figure it out. I just do not have that option anymore.

this rant not addressed to anyone or message in particular, not even this one, but to those of you it is addressed to, you know who you are.

I would suggest a restore to see if you can get that functionality to return.

Reaction score
lock/unlock

If I restore I lose all my books etc do I not. Becomes a which is worse scenario. It is early yet. I might just hang on and see how many others have the problem.

thanks for the reply
jim

I would suggest a restore to see if you can get that functionality to return.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You won't lose anything if you backup first..... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
If I restore I lose all my books etc do I not. Becomes a which is worse scenario. It is early yet. I might just hang on and see how many others have the problem.

thanks for the reply
jim

If you perform a backup to your computer or to iCloud your books will come back upon restore. Also, any purchases can be downloaded again from their respective stores.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.